View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

To The Wolf: How I learned to stop worrying and love stats only

I have been an on again off again ootp player since the very first version was announced on usenet. I never really could get into the game even though I desperately wanted to and I couldn't figure out why.

I have been a long time lurker on the forums for several years and after reading thread after thread about stats only, I figured why not? Maybe this is the mode that will finally get me into the game. Did it ever!

Unbeknownst to me at the time, looking at ratings was actually killing immersion. I was so hung up on looking for 8's, 9's and 10's in different categories, that I lost track of actually looking at stats to see if a player was a fit for my team. For me (and I know this doesn't go for everyone), pouring over all the stats for each player to see if he's a good fit or if he's for real helps me connect to my league much more than ratings. I would so often get caught up in the fact that a player wasn't performing up to his rating that it was killing my enjoyment of the game and it was making things harder for me because I would insist on getting a highly rated player even if he had historically underachieved. Now, that thought can't even cross my mind. If a player has bad stats across the board for his career, I am not even tempted.

In my first year stats only, I made the playoffs. I will be interested to see how it impacts my draft. I have not done feeder leagues. I am just doing straight minors and going by scouts. To me this is fine because I know for every Frank Thomas in the first round there are several more Scott Ruffcorns and with that I am off to play another season. Thanks Wolf!
Roy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote