View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
renojedi
Major Leagues

Any one else expand the 2013 MLB quickstart?

If you do, I'd love to hear how you do it so I can see if I can improve the way I do it.

I have enjoyed doing this since at least OOTP 6 as I find it is a real challenge to take a scrub team and build them up and you also don't have to live with the decisions of the real life GMs and scouts of an actual team.

Since my favorite team is the D-backs, I always add the team I will manage (the Vancouver Navigators) to the NL West. Well, that and I got creamed the one year I added the team to the AL West. I guess my management style doesn't work as well there.

The other team has changed over the years...it's been the San Antonio Stallions, San Juan Sharks, Mexico City Vaqueros, and this year I was leaning towards the San Antonio Riders as I like the logo JustaFan made for them.

Here are the specifics of what I do after creating a GM to use and a "shadow GM" with commissioner powers (which I only leave until the draft; I switch to the actual GM when the draft begins)

1. Start the season one week later. This allows the signing of free agents.

2. Set expansion draft for two new teams. I set it at 18 protected, less than three years of service, max players lost at 3. I tried to make it like the MLB Expansion Draft of 1998 that had 15, 18, and 21 protected players in the 1st, second, and third rounds respectively by setting to the average of 18.

3. Assign managers, coaches, and scouts to the team from available staff or create them from retired major leaguers. I assign with commissioner mode since the time it too short until the draft and I don't like having fictional people as my coaching staff.

4. Re-name all the minor league affiliates and sometimes change leagues to make the geography match where the team is located.

5. Set the team budget to the median for the division I am in and give my team $10M in cash.

6. Set patience and fiscal personality high (it is a team that will have to improve) and fan loyalty and interest fairly high (8 of 10 or so).

7. Make offers to free agents

8. Conduct draft

9. Clean up visuals (add logos, uniforms, name ballpark, etc for the two expansion teams)

10. Start the season

The only thing that didn't work as well this year was regenerating schedules after the expansion. In the past, it would allow for interleague play but this year it doesn't. I tired on team in each league and two in one league but both didn't allow for IL play. So I will import a schedule for that.

So, what do you folks do differently?
renojedi is offline   Reply With Quote