View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Sorry I haven't been available to offer feedback for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I tried making edits in the world_default.xml file -- in fact, I spent what seemed like the better part of the July 4 weekend trying to make changes in the .xml file and the in-game nation editor, all with no success. Others, however, say that changes in the .xml file can be made, and that changes in the nation editor can be saved. Don't tell me that such changes can theoretically be made. I don't want to know if you should be able to make those changes, I want to know if you can make those changes. I'd like to hear from people who have actually tried to change the .xml file or the settings in the nation editor if they have been successful or not, and, if they have, how did they do it.
Please keep in mind that you still can't import changes to the xml file into a game that you have already started. Any edits you make will only take effect when you start a new game. Hopefully, that will at least provide an explanation as to why the re-imported data isn't sticking. If you start a new league after re-importing the xml db and it still causes problems, let me know so I can log it as a bug. (I was sincerely hoping that the new system would allow us to make changes to a saved game, but that apparently isn't the case. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
There were, but it appears that now you can use all 40 [id# 0 to 39] If you look at the world default.xml that ships with the game, the United States uses 36 of the ethnicities.

I was able to verify that the upper id# of 39 is probably hard coded. I tried adding ethnicity 40 to the XML file but OOTP wouldn't recognize it when I looked at the nation editor.
This is correct. You can indeed now have up to 40 ethnicities for each nation. Unfortunately, there is still a hardcoded limit to the number of ethnicities you can have in the game. (However, as has been the case for years, you can always change any of the 40 ethnicities to something different if you want.) The 40-ethnicity limit is yet another thing I'm going to continue to press Markus and Andreas to change. Granted, it's not practical to expect that every conceivable language will eventually be represented in OOTP, but I believe we need at least twice the current limit to have a somewhat realistic array of namesets. (I'm also pushing for the ability to edit ethnicities at the state and maybe even the city level in the future.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I've always liked OOTP simply because you can come on here ask a question and it will be answered, sometimes you even get the people behind the game answering your questions. I have to say though this time I find it very disappointing that in what is a big change in fact a massive change for fictional players, a change from OOTP11 and txt files to OOTP12 and xml files hasn't been talked about apart from Muzamba's posts.

Despite numerous posts and questions from numerous people from the boards questions still go unanswered, I'd even have expected Markus who I take was the one who decided to change from txt to xml would have at least come in with a couple of questions. Maybe next time I'll buy iOOTP or give a donation to the paypal account it seems these get alot of time devoted to them

Being serious though I hope you get your question answered because until I get questions like this answered then I'm afraid I'll be sticking with 11, as I don't trust 12 with what I want to change within the files.
I must admit that I'm also troubled by the fact that I seem to be the only person with any inside knowledge about the new db system that has even attempted to provide any answers. When it comes to the db, I've basically gotten nothing but radio silence from M&A since the game was released. I guess the basics are working just enough that it's not really seen as a high priority at the moment, at least compared to some other issues.

I think the overall problem is that despite the decision being made to implement the new system as early as last fall, it really didn't get much attention until late in the beta process. Andreas, to his credit, pushed for and was given the green light to code the new db, but I kind of get the impression Markus was never totally convinced that any sort of update to the system was really even necessary.

I personally consider myself to be the biggest non-development team advocate for a comprehensive redesign of the db (although I didn't specifically push for the conversion to xml). The problem is that most users don't seem to care that much or at least don't publicly express their desire that the db be updated, so Markus doesn't seem to see it as a major area of concern.

However, the purpose of this rant isn't to say anything disparaging about Markus. I just want to encourage those for whom it IS a priority to be vocal about it and let your feelings be known. I have a very comprehensive proposal on the table to revamp the entire OOTP db for v13 that will make the game's output much more realistic and should allow for more editing options by the user, but it's probably going to require strong support from the OOTP community to get Markus' attention.

So if you want to see all the issues that have been discussed in this thread addressed soon, please take every opportunity you can to mention how important this is to you.

Last edited by Muzamba; 07-06-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote