Good news

242 Angell Street
Providence, Rhode Island

Miss Sarah Malloy
337 Park Street
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

July 29, 1907

Dear Sarah,

I wanted you to be the first to hear my good news. Perhaps you noticed the different postmark on the envelope, and the new address above? My contract has been transferred to the Providence Grays, in the Eastern League. I am now playing at Class A, only one level below the major leagues.

To say I am excited about this development is to understate my feelings tremendously. I am also more nervous than I have ever been in my life. For the first time since my first day in Richmond, I know none of my team mates. They seem to be nice enough fellows, however. I had a nice conversation with a fellow from Texas named Speaker, who has played here all season, and he has been very helpful to me. He's an authentic cowboy, and the sight of a New Englander like myself with a Westerner like "Tris" has to be good for a laugh or two.

I will want to hear from you more than ever now that I am in a new and unfamiliar place. Your letters have been a source of happiness and inspiration for me since I started playing ball, and while I enjoy playing very much, I must confess that the end of a season does mean one very positive thing. It brings me back to Stockbridge and the opportunity to see you.

Please write to me soon, Sarah.

Yours,
Pat
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote