Old 04-20-2003, 09:42 PM   #16
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

A letter home

142 Merrimac Street
New Bedford, Massachusetts

April 30, 1907

Dear Mom and Dad,

I wanted to write a quick letter, as I have a short time before I am to meet some of the other fellows for a trip downtown to see a vaudeville show at the Zeterion Theatre. An evening on the town is just what Bill Carrigan will need, we suppose. Bill broke his hand the other day in our game against Fall River, and it looks like it might be two months or so before he will be able to play again. Of course Bill was playing well when he got hurt. Hopefully the comedians' timing will be better at the theatre than Bill's has been lately.

Besides this, I'm enjoying being back in New Bedford. I've always enjoyed the sea. The boarding house where I'm living this year is much nicer than the hotel where I stayed the three weeks I was here last August. As in Richmond, it is an easy walk to the ball park.

The rooters here are particularly passionate. The other day I was walking through a park near the boarding house, and I saw a group of boys playing ball, pretending to be the Whalers. I actually heard one of them say, "I'll be Pat O'Farrell." That put a smile on my face that stayed around a while! Fortunately for me, I was walking alone at the time. Had one of the other fellows heard that, they would still be ribbing me.

Although the team has won only 10 of its first 26 games, I am secretly proud of the way I have played. My average of .291 is higher than it was last season at New Bedford, and I have already hit four home runs. The fences at New Bedford's grounds are far from home plate, and I've managed to hit a few over the outfielders' heads and leg them all the way around. Perhaps best of all, I am striking out much less often.

As the boys are coming in just a few minutes now, I have to cut this short. Hug Emily for me, and as always, please tell Sarah Malloy hello for me.

Your loving son,
Patrick
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote