View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Jayzone
All Star Reserve

Those things that I decribed after my frist (primary) point are all just added benefits. For people who play with rating off, it doesn't really matter either way. I also agree that keeping the vague scouting report is a good idea. I actually meant that as a possibiliy of extra info in the scouting report, not as a total replacement. Sorry that I misspoke about this.

You didn't make any comment on my primary point so I fear that I may not have got my points across. Well, I am hoping someone would comment on that. Anyway, I shall elaborate it once more here then. The thing that I am most concerned about and interested in is the potential benefit to computer AI competence. If the rest of the features don't make it in, that's fine by me - as long as computer AI is made to see better. I think OOTP really needs to address of 'quality of intel' obatined by computer AI. An analogy can be made that if a stock broker has a very good idea on when the stock price will rise and fall, then this stock broker could make killings all the time. As for it is now, OOTP AI is like a stock broker who doesn't really have a good idea on when the stock price will rise or fall. All OOTP AI could do is just guess and sometimes this results in a bizarre behaviour (sign/trade-and-release). No matter how smart this stock broker could be, he/she can only make the best decision based on the information available. If the information is crappy, then this stock broker really can not make any smart and informative decision from it. The quality of the decision-making by AI is only as good as the quality of information/intel obtained by AI - no matter how smart the AI is. Remember, "Garbage in, garbage out. (GIGO)".

Anyway, I hope I got my points across this time and not further confusing people. Thanks for reading.

p.s. It's too bad that you didn't try out Rating Translator. It is useful if you want to know the rough expected performance of a player - well, provided that you are playing with ratings on.

Note: Rating Translator is now also hosted at jazzrack's CLB - OOTP Download.

Click here for the discussion on "How computer GM may be made smarter by having built-in rating translation ability"

Last edited by Jayzone; 04-09-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Jayzone is offline   Reply With Quote