View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
Tib
All Star Reserve

SHORT HOP - My Life In Baseball by David Driscoll

Greetings, intrepid readers of the empty expanse that is the ITP Dynasty thread. With OOTP6 only just released and ITP2 on the way, the ITP board is experiencing a creative malaise. However, over the past few months I have been writing a dynasty thread that I hope will help you fill the time between versions, and (if you like it) perhaps beyond.

It was originally intended to be an exercise in writing a first person memoir, but quickly grew to become something more. Since there has been but few "career journals" entered here, I thought you all might like to read something a little different, a little more like a real novel. Nothing against the fine work or Mr. Mau et al, but I confess I always wondered how far this new genre of "sim-based fiction" could go. Would the depth of a simulation engine like OOTP and ITP be enough to produce a rich, novel-length story? Could it produce drama, comedy, suspense? You bet it could, as you will see.

I must say that the on-field events in Dave's career are depicted as they really happened. They are taken directly from ITP, with very few embellishments.

Keep in mind that even as I post each chapter of the fictional career of David Driscoll, the work itself is still only one or two drafts old; still very raw. But inspired as I was by the story of Roscoe Barahona, I couldn't help but try to enrich and expand the wonderful little exclusive genre we have here at the OOTP boards. As such, I am open to any and all comments.

One other thing: this is meant for mature readers. I have tried to be responsible to the legal guardians of our younger members of the board, but while there is absolutely no graphic sexual language, there is what I would call "realistic dialogue" (profanity) and some "mature themes" (adult issues). This is a work of fiction, any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidence. Copyright 2004 by Scott Tibbetts.

So, with fingers crossed, I present SHORT HOP - My Life In Baseball, by David Driscoll (as told to Del Harrison).

Last edited by Tib; 10-29-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote