View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #110
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

June 17, 1985
  • CF Luis Polonia promoted to AA Reading
  • CF/RF/LF Dion Lowe assigned to extended spring training
  • CF Bryan Hoppie promoted to A Clearwater

Polonia time in Reading. He kept up his great numbers over the last 25-30 games, hitting .339/.406/.453 in 277 plate appearances with very good defense in Clearwater. Lowe will be asked to get some work in before we figure out what to do with him (we’re close to releasing him).

Hoppie, who was lost in the shuffle in Peninsula, moves on over to the Gulf.

June 18, 1985

The first trade of the 1985 regular season has been made: The Cubs sent 3B Tom Lombarski to the Dodgers for prospects Brian Williams and Jonathan Pequinot. Seems Lombarski is a flier for Los Angeles, as they’re not getting any production out of third base right now.

The team is heading to St. Louis for a three-game set with the Cardinals, but I’m flying out to Clearwater to catch Blaise Ilsley’s start tonight. My plan is to watch him tonight, then stay for Wednesday’s game, both against Tampa. I’ll spend the morning Thursday with manager Tim Terzic before flying back.

Game 1985-61: Busch Stadium - Phillies 5, Cardinals 1 / 41-20

Steve Carlton goes a strong eight, striking out five and walking two. Glenn Wilson hits a big RBI double, while UL Washington adds three hits. A good, good win.

With the win, Carlton ties Gaylord Perry for 10th place on the all-time wins list (314).

June 19, 1985

Let’s talk about last night. I get to Tampa International Airport by late morning, then drive over to Clearwater in time to catch lunch with manager Tim Terzic. He has the new Clearwater Phillies at 45-14, a full 11.5 games better than anyone else in the Florida State League. They lead in nearly every hitting and pitching category, and right now are led on the mound by 1985 second-round pick Blaise Ilsley. After an introductory stint in A Spartanburg, Ilsley has taken off, throwing complete games in each of his first three starts. He has 32 strikeouts in 27 innings. He’s a man among boys out there.

Terzic and I talk a lot about Ilsley (he thinks he’s ready for Reading now and could be in the majors by September), but we also go over the roster a bit. Terzic says reliever Joe Boever looks ready for AA as well, and that 22-year-old Jeff Gray could use a push upwards. Offensively he loves 1984 16th rounder Keith Miller and catcher Ray Ortega, and he also hails shortstop Ken Jackson’s leadership abilities. What’s more, I’m a big fan of Terzic, who seems to know how to win with any group.

After lunch and some time meeting with the Clearwater staff, it’s game time. And folks, Blaise Ilsley is the real thing. The first few innings are easy - a few fly outs, no-doubt grounders, and a couple singles, but they’re wasted on the basepaths (twice Ortega caught runners stealing). Then he ramps it up, striking out five in his final three innings. Yes, he goes all nine. Yes, he gives up zero runs. His line: 9 IP (CG), 0 ER, 3 H, 8 K, 0 BB.

Ilsley’s current Clearwater stint: 36 IP, 0.50 ERA, 2 ER, 15 H, 40 K, 3 BB, 2.1 WAR

That’s 2.1 WAR in four starts.

After the game I head to the clubhouse and meet the guys. Ilsley is soft spoken and wants to learn, and he has a golden arm. He’s appreciative of everything. Later, I have drinks with Terzic, and we’re beaming about the stuff. There are still a few kinks he needs to work on (mostly movement of his secondary pitches), but his fastball and changeup are already plus, and his cutter is near plus. He also is working on a forkball that’s probably average. This kid could be an ace. Over the moon about Ilsley.

Game 1985-62: Busch Stadium - Phillies 5, Cardinals 3 / 42-20

The Paul Molitor game! Our big free-agent signing breaks out with a four-hit game, including his second home run and third triple of the season. Jeff Stone adds an RBI triple (also his third). Charles Hudson, who gets pushed above John Denny in the rotation, rebounds from a rough first inning to turn in six solid frames (3 ER, 5 H, 1 K, 1 BB).

Meanwhile, there was a brawl tonight in Detroit between the Tigers and Red Sox. Detroit’s Willie Hernandez and Boston’s Rey Quinones were suspended.

June 20, 1985

Dave Stegman, who traveled with the team to St. Louis, is ready to return. Now, Von Hayes has played a solid-enough center field (-0.3 ZR, .974 EFF), but probably not good enough to stick there. That means Stegman needs to be starting in center, which also means someone else needs to head back to AAA Portland.

The candidates:
  • LF/RF Jeff Stone - 62 PA, .231/.355/.385, 5 XBH, 4 SB, 1 CS, 0.3 WAR
  • LF Bruce Fields - 32 PA, .321/.367/.393, 2 XBH, 5 SB, 1 CS, 0.2 WAR
  • LF/RF Billy Sample - 28 PA, .333/.429/.458, 2 XBH, 0 SB, 2 CS, 0.0 WAR

This isn’t very hard; it has to be Stone, who needs to play every day still. He didn’t hit so well, but his plate work remains solid.
  • CF Dave Stegman recalled from 15-day injured list
  • LF/RF Jeff Stone optioned to AAA Portland
  • RF Joe Lefebvre released

Tough to let Lefebvre go, but he was doing nothing this season. Hoping he can latch on somewhere else.

As for the team tonight, Dick Howser is going with B squad, getting Mike Diaz, Bill Lyons, Tommy Thompson, and Dave Concepcion into the lineup.

Game 1985-63: Busch Stadium - Cardinals 5, Phillies 2 / 42-21

Paul Assenmacher gives up three in the eighth, capped by a Steve Balboni home run, as the Cards take one. Not very upset at the offense today, as Tommy Thompson delivers an RBI double (as did Mike Schmidt).

Meantime, those Expos are back at it, sweeping Pittsburgh in four to virtually tie things up in the East (we’re better one in the loss column).

On my second night in Clearwater, the Phils lost game No. 15 with a 10-4 thud. Not a good performance by 20-year-old John Powell, who has as many walks as strikeouts (45). Keith Miller impresses me, though (3-for-5, 2B, R), as does Ken Jackson (2-for-3, 2 BB, RBI).

June 21, 1985

Back home to Philly, as we start a three-gamer with Pittsburgh. And tough news out of Reading: SP Steve Witt has to have rotator cuff surgery and will miss up to a year. No transactions for the moment, as I may use his spot for Blaise Ilsley soon.

Game 1985-64: Veterans Stadium - Pirates 1, Phillies 0 (11) / 42-22

A tough one to lose. John Candelaria is up to his old tricks (7.2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 8 K, 2 BB), but Kevin Gross matches him (8.2 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 6 K, 1 BB). Then against Todd Worrell, Lee Lacy strikes an 11th-inning homer. We come back in the bottom half, with Darren Daulton singling to potentially score UL Washington … but Washington is thrown out at the plate for the final out of the game. Crushing.

Meanwhile, another season-ending elbow injury, this time to the Cardinals’ Dennis Lamp. Those UCL injuries are trending big-time this year.

June 22, 1985

Game 1985-65: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 2, Pirates 1 / 43-22

A nail biter. We get up 2-1 thanks to some timely … plate appearances: First, a Glenn Wilson sacrifice fly in the fourth, and second, a fielder’s choice off a Wilson grounder in the sixth.

In the eighth, Larry Andersen works out of a no-out, two-runner jam with a strikeout, strikeout, and ground out; then, in the ninth, Bill Campbell comes in with a man on first, gets a fly out, gives up a double, intentionally walks the bases loaded … then a ground out that forces the run out at home, and a full-count strikeout of Tony Pena. Phew.

June 23, 1985

NL all-star voting update: Mike Schmidt still has a commanding lead on everyone, while Von Hayes stays in first at left field, Juan Samuel hangs onto third place at second base, and Charles Hudson keeps fifth place among starting pitchers.

Sunday afternoon at the Vet, and Steve Carlton is on the hill. Let’s get it.

Game 1985-66: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Pirates 0 / 44-22

Lefty turns it on today, going all nine while striking out six and giving up just three hits (all singles) and walking two. Offensively, big games from Juan Samuel (3-for-5, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI) and UL Washington (3-for-5, 2B, 3 R).

Power rankings time:

1. Detroit Tigers - 46-20
2. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 44-22
3. Montreal Expos - 45-23
4. St. Louis Cardinals - 39-26
5. Toronto Blue Jays - 41-28

Also, just a note: The Bend Phillies start up today, which means draftees Gregg Jefferies, Aubrey Waggoner, and Steve Gasser, among others, get their pro careers going.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote