View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #105
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Note: I'm starting to add a guide to the series at the top of the first post. That way, if you ever want to quickly navigate through the stories, or maybe check out a particularly big day or week, that'll be available to you. Hoping to get through it soon.

May 29, 1985

Back at it, and it’s a two-game series at Dodger Stadium. Gotta get at least one, and tonight, it’s Fernando. No repeat of the last time, please.

Game 1984-43: Dodger Stadium - Dodgers 8, Phillies 5 / 30-13

I speak too soon about Larry Andersen. He comes in with a 0.00 ERA and allows three runs in the eighth. We get down 5-0 against Valenzuela, thanks in part to two Paul Molitor errors, but chip away and tie the game in the top of the eighth. That’s thanks in part to a two-run Molitor double. A heck of an effort, and I would’ve been ecstatic with a stolen win. But then, Andersen … sigh.

Meanwhile, the Expos have won 10 straight and are now 3.5 in back of us in the NL East standings. The Cardinals, Mets, and Pirates are hovering behind, while the Cubs are a bit below .500.

May 30, 1985

Tonight, Mike Diaz and Tommy Thompson are in and Dodgers’ lefty Rick Honeycutt is on the hill.

Game 1984-44: Dodger Stadium - Phillies 3, Dodgers 2 / 31-13

The gutsiest win of the season. We get up early thanks to a Mike Schmidt RBI single, extend the lead with a Tommy Thompson single, and go up 3-1 with a Paul Molitor base hit. It stays that way from the third to the ninth, as Kevin Gross hands in eight strong. In the ninth, Bill Campbell allows three consecutive singles. Then an RBI groundout (3-2), strikeout, and groundout to end it. Dancing on a wire.

During the evening, we find out that the Red Sox extended a five-year, $4.2 million contract to LF Jim Rice, which he accepted. Rice, who has 10 HR and 30 RBI this season, is looking to stay a Red Sox for his entire career.

May 31, 1985

Here’s breaking news: My reputation as a GM just went from poor to good. It skipped fair! Also, Dave Concepcion gets a start tonight in San Francisco.

Game 1985-45: Candlestick Park - Phillies 11, Giants 2 / 32-13

We pick up where we left off with the Giants, scoring early and then often. Home runs by Darren Daulton, Glenn Wilson, and Juan Samuel, plus three hits from Mike Schmidt (now at .391) and two each from Paul Molitor and Concepcion. Don Carman threw a big double-play ball to end a threat in the seventh, basically securing this game. Kenneth Walker pitched two strong relief innings.

June 1, 1985

First, awesome news: Mike Schmidt won his second-straight National League Player of the Month award. But that’s not all: Kevin Gross took home NL Pitcher of the Month honors! Schmidt hit .383 with 6 HR and 22 RBI in May; he’s the clear front-runner for National League Most Valuable Player. As for Gross, he went 5-0 with a 0.96 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 37.2 innings. He’s 7-0 with a 1.77 ERA so far. Sheesh.

Game 1985-46: Candlestick Park - Giants 10, Phillies 4 / 32-14

Yuck. We’re down 4-2 in the eighth but tie it up, and then Larry Andersen self-destructs. For the first time this season, the bullpen is really looking like an issue, with Andersen pitching poorly, Donnie Moore holding a 5.68 ERA, and Don Carman standing at 5.79.

Also, Dave Stegman hurts himself throwing a ball midway through the game, and it doesn’t look good. Bill Lyons will play center field until we know something more.

June 2, 1985

First update in all-star voting: Mike Schmidt leads all vote-getters in baseball at 155,072, holding a comfortable lead at first base over Keith Hernandez. Meanwhile, Juan Samuel is third among NL second basemen, Paul Molitor is third among NL third basemen, Von Hayes is second among NL left fielders, and Charles Hudson is fourth among NL starting pitchers.

As for the game, Dick Howser is giving Mike Schmidt the day off.

Game 1985-47: Candlestick Park - Giants 8, Phillies 2 / 32-15

Easily our worst performance of the season. John Denny allowed four earned runs in 6 IP, and Donnie Moore - back in for a second-straight day - gives up another three runs. He now has a 6.00 ERA, and it’s probably time to make a change in a struggling bullpen. Meanwhile, other than Von Hayes’ three hits, a lifeless performance from the offense.
  • RP Paul Assenmacher promoted to MLB Philadelphia
  • RP Don Carman optioned to AAA Portland
  • RF Joe Lefebvre placed on waivers

I decided to option Carman, who was carrying a 5.79 ERA, but more, is a lefty. Assenmacher is also a lefty. Plus, I believe in Kenneth Walker’s stuff, and I can’t do anything with Donnie Moore, obviously.

As for Lefebvre, I just want to keep some room on the 40-man roster.

Also today, we learn that Dave Stegman has a strained ankle that should keep him out a few weeks.
  • CF Dave Stegman placed on 15-day injured list
  • LF/RF Jeff Stone promoted to MLB Philadelphia

No center fielder in the system right now is a better upgrade than just moving Von Hayes back to center for two weeks, then letting Jeff Stone get a run.

Here are the power rankings:

1. Detroit Tigers - 32-14
2. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 32-15
3. Toronto Blue Jays - 31-18
4. St. Louis Cardinals - 27-17
5. Montreal Expos - 29-19
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote