View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #39
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 23rd, 1985

Back to the top of the rotation as we had Mike Krukow facing Orel Hershiser of the Dodgers.

I went 0 for 3 against him earlier. Hopefully I can do better this time.

I led off the bottom of the 1st and had success right away! My first hit against Orel was a single to right. I then stole 2nd and moved to 3rd on an errant throw by catcher Mike Scioscia. Chris Brown singled and I crossed the plate for the first run of the game.

In the 2nd I cut off a throw to the plate, where we were not going to catch Rich Dauer, to throw out Jim Dwyer at 3rd. It worked but the game was now tied 1-1.

I came up in the 3rd with one out and nobody on and was plunked by Hershiser! I didn't care for that! That led to stolen base #12 but did not lead to another run.

That was too bad because in the 4th Scioscia hit a two run homer to give the Dodgers the lead.

I took my first ground ball in the 5th. It was by Pedro Guerrero and everything went smoothly.

I came up in the bottom half of that inning with two out and the bases empty. I grounded out to my opposite number, Mariano Duncan.

In the 6th Darrell Evans singled past me. He later scored. We also scored that inning so L.A. led 4-2.

Scott Garrelts took over for Krukow in the 8th.

In the bottom half I led off but Hershiser struck me out.

In the bottom of the 9th I came up with the bases loaded (Jeff Leonard on 3rd, Terry Harper and 2nd, and pinch-hitter Sixto Lexcano on 1st) and L.A. closer Tom Niedenfuer pitching... or at least I was about to.

I was lifted for John Rabb. I could see that I was still not trusted in key situations, despite hitting nearly .300 so far this year. Very disappointing.

Niednefuer threw a wild pitch that scored Leonard but then he got Rabb to ground out. We lost 4-3.

I would have liked that chance.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote