View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #29
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 10th, 1985

It was sure nice to have my family in town for my major league debut. Being 17 on a team with grown men can sometimes be a little daunting. Things worked out for me, though. I gave the ball from my first hit to my mom. She liked that.

They stuck around for game two before heading back to Victoria. Would luck stay with me?

Brad Wellman and Fran Mullins cleared waivers and were assigned to Phoenix.

Charlie Lea was on the mound for the Padres. We had Jeff Robinson.

Jeff didn't have the same success at keeping the Padres off the board that Atlee had. Kevin McReynolds hit a two-run homer in the 1st inning.

My first at bat ended in a strikeout.

In the 2nd I got my first action on defense with an easy grounder by Al Newman. I got another from Tony Gwynn n the 3rd.

I led off the 4th, which if you are doing the math shows that Lea was perfect so far. I didn't change that by hitting an easy fly ball to McReynolds in centre.

Things when south in the 5th. We still hadn't collected a hit and the Padres started scoring. It was 7-0 by the time Nestor Pena gave Jeff the hook and went with Curt Brown.

We finally got on the board that inning after a couple of walks and an RBI by Kenny Oberkfell. We still trailed by 6.

Curt had been lifted for a pinch hitter so Pat Perry was in to pitch the 6th. He gave up a double to Terry Kennedy but kept him from scoring.

I lead off our half and grounded out on a weak swing to Charlie Lea. We did manage another run when Chili hit Chris Brown home, but we had a long way to go.

McReynolds grounded out to me to start the 7th. Perry walked John Kruk but then I handled an easy pop up by Carmelo Martinez. Kenny got the final out - another pop up.

We scored again in the 7th, that was 3 innings in a row, We needed to pick up the pace as we still trailed by 4.

Frank Williams was pitching for us now, after another pinch hit spot.

A big screw-up on my part that inning. With George Hinshaw on 3rd, Alan Wiggins swiped 2nd and I didn't cover the base, when it was clearly my play. Pretty embarrassing. Frank lost his control after that and gave up 2 runs.

I led off the 8th, now facing Craig Lefferts. I flied out to Gwynn in right.

In the 9th we had yet another pitcher out there - Ron Davis. Al Newman reached with a single and then Hinshaw hit what could have been a double play to Brownie but Newman plowed into Ken Oberkfell. Ken came up holding his hand... he was in a lot of pain and had to leave the game.

Dirty pool by Newman, especially when they were up by 6 in the 9th! John Rabb had to take over at 2nd.

We didn't score and lost 9-3.

We found out after the game that Ken had torn a ligament in his thumb. He is heading to the D.L.

Fran Mullins was called up but it looks like John Castino is going to take Ken's spot in the starting line-up.

We had an off-day before heading down the coast to face the Dodgers in their home opener.

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 02-11-2017 at 12:43 AM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote