View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #27
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 9th, 1985

We open at home versus the Padres.

My parents and sister came down from Victoria for the game. No pressure, hey? But it is my first major league game. It means a lot.

We have Atlee Hammaker on the mound. They have Tim Lollar. Could be worse for a debut.

Famous last words?

Candlestick Park is amazing. Everything I had hoped t would be.

I led off the bottom of the 1st by grounding out to Al Newman at 3rd.

Okay. That is out of the way. Now to find my first hit.

Chili Davis turned his first at bat of the season into a home run and we led 1-0.

In the 2nd we got another homer, this one by Jeff Leonard, to put us up 2-0. I ended the inning by grounding out to Newman again.

My first defensive play came in the 3rd on an easy grounded by Lollar. No problems there.

Also in the 3rd, another solo homer for the 3rd straight inning. This time it was Rob Deer. We led 3-0.

In the 4th I handled grounders by Tony Gwynn and Kevin McReynolds without incident.

Lollar struck me out to lead off the 5th.

In the 7th McReynolds grounded out to me again.

Also that inning I came up with one out and Ken Smith on 3rd. Dave Rozema was in as a reliever. I hit it straight up the middle and into centre field for an RBI single. They got the ball back for me.

My first hit and first RBI. This one is for the mantle.

It got better. On the first pitch to Chris Brown I stole 2nd. I then scored when Chris reached on an error by their shortstop, Gerald DeSimone.

We were up 5-0.

DeSimone grounded out to me to start the 8th. I almost botched the throw but Deer bailed me out. I guess I was a little keyed up now. After Jerry Hairston reached I took a grounder from Alan Wiggins and started a double play, but Hairston broke it up by sliding into Ken Oberkfell.

Gwynn led off the top of the 9th and grounded out to me. Two more to go.
McReynolds flew out to Eddie Vargas in centre and John Kruk grounded out to Deer at 1st and it was over.

Atlee Hammaker pitched a complete game shut-out. I got my first hit and RBI. The Giants won 5-0.

Great way to start a career.

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 02-08-2017 at 10:50 AM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote