View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Well...my first season as coach of the Buffalo Sabres is now behind me and this great city. With the Stanley Cup Playoffs looming ahead, this team's season is over. Yet there is optimism everywhere...the fans, the players...the coaches, the staff...it's really infectious and the Buffalo/Rochester media has been extremely kind, giving me the credit. Listen...I am super-enthusiastic about my Sabres...even in the worst of times and that doesn't change because I now own and run the organization.

It caused quite a stir early in the season...my abundant enthusiasm. When I'm behind the bench during a game...sometimes I forget that I'm wearing a suit and that I'm also the coach. I have the best seat in the house now and my excitement sometimes overwhelms me.

There is the now famous cover of Sports Illustrated from November, 2015...I have a copy of it framed in my office...the team gave it to me the day the issue hit the stands. I'm standing on the bench...well I was...but I was jumping for joy at the moment Sam Reinhart had just scored a game-winning goal (the passing from Eichel to O'Reilly to Reinhart was creative and astounding in it's sheer beauty) with less than 10 seconds left in the 3rd period. The photo caught me at the apex of my leap for joy....my glasses crooked on my face from the extreme motion...my hands reaching as high into the air as I could possibly muster. It was such a great moment....and it was forever captured and distributed worldwide. The team gave another photo to Sam and it shows him being smothered by his teammates on the ice...the sheer joy on the boys face is literally heartwarming. It currently hangs in his locker. I told him to take it home...he said he will....when he's retired. So for now it's in his locker. He touches the glass protecting the photo just before every game...it's now a pregame ritual for him. Sometimes I catch him smiling while looking at the photo...and I can't help but smile too.

I knew the team would improve this season...but 93 points even surprised me. I figured a .500 type season would more realistic...my private goal was 82 points.

I was real happy with Tyler Ennis....he really flourished with his teammates and his unselfish play was evident to everyone. I think most thought he'd score some more goals, but his 41 assists surprised most. He's intelligent and he understood that there are now a fair amount of players who can score...and he helped them do so. I'm fairly sure he's going to get an "A" on his sweater next season.

I thought Ryan O'Reilly would score more and I could tell he was frustrated a bit. His 37 assists were nice, but I'd like to see 25-30 goals from him...we'll see how things go next season.

Jack Eichel had ups and downs, but he's a real solid player already and just a kid...I chuckle sometimes watching how older players look up to him, but he's that kind of guy. I can't wait to see how he develops.

The big surprise for me this season was Rasmus Ristolainen. This kid is a beast and he's so damn solid already. 17 goals and 45 points...his instincts offensively is off the charts for a d-man and he is extremely solid playing defense. I love watching him on the ice. He effortlessly commands attention...a real tribute to this kid.

As far as goalies are concerned....Lehner played well but I'm keeping my eyes open. I feel, perhaps, there's an opportunity to upgrade, but we'll see. I'm not going to re-sign Chad Johnson...and it's not because he can't play, he really did a decent job for us, but I have a feeling Linus Ullmark may very well be the future in goal for this hockey club and I'm seriously considering promoting him from Rochester to the Sabres for 2016/17 to backup Lehner. I think he's ready. We'll see.

The Stanley Cup playoffs start tonight and I'll be watching. The draft is coming up too...so I have a lot to do.

I can't wait for next season!

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-27-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote