View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #39
legendsport
Hall Of Famer

Toronto, Ontario: October 29, 1916:

Jack was exhausted. His mother was livid, his father seemed sad and Vera wouldn't talk to him. But he had given his word, and by God, he had honored it. His family could give him (in fact was giving him) the cold shoulder, but he was a man of his word. Ironically his father taught him that, but Jack could feel Rufus' disappointment over the static-filled telephone line.

Connolly had insisted that Jack call his parents. It didn't even seem to matter to the mining magnate that doing so would require two phone calls (Jack's father was packing up the office in D.C. for the winter while his mother was home in Georgia). "Call 'em both!" Connolly had shouted, raising his fist into the air.

Jack was a bit taken aback by Connolly's over-the-top reaction to the signing. When he mentioned this, Connolly grinned and explained, "You, my boy, are going to be a great one. And best of all, I kept that pair of British Columbian snakes from stealing you away from me at the last minute!"

Jack had shaken his head - was it really all about keeping him from playing for the Yeadons? He reckoned he was pretty good - when he was out there on the ice he could tell he was better than most of the other guys. Still, was he really *that* good?

"You'll be playing me at winger, right?" he asked before signing.

Connolly chewed his cigar and looked Jack right in the eyes, silently, for a moment - so long in fact that Jack was starting to get uncomfortable - before replying, "Hell, yes, if that's what you want."

Jack was opening his mouth to reply when the older man continued, "Honestly, you're the best defenceman I've ever seen, but I know you feel, erm.... constricted, playing there, and you performed quite well on the wing this past season."

Connolly had attended a few of Jack's games, sitting rinkside and whooping and hollering every time Jack scored - which he did often.

Vera had turned and walked out of their suite when Jack informed her he was going to honor his word and sign with Connolly's Toronto Silver Skates. "That's a stupid name," she said as she stormed out. Jack shook his head, put on his jacket and left himself, off to tell Mr. Yeadon of his decision. He felt he owed the man that much at least. He was hoping that Dewar wouldn't be there - he hated disappointing Max, and he knew how much Max despised Jack Connolly.

After an uncomfortable visit to Yeadon - Dewar was there and he closed his eyes, frowned and shook his head when Jack told Yeadon of his decision. Yeadon simply nodded and said, "I appreciate you coming to tell me in person. You are a quality man, Mr. Barrell, and I wish you luck." Then he shook Jack's hand. As he left Yeadon's suite, Jack wondered, and not for the first time, if he was making a huge mistake.

Connolly was effusive, as usual, and the gorgeous redhead he had with him in his suite jumped up and down and gave Jack a kiss after the young man had told Connolly of his decision to sign. Jack, blushing and flustered, muttered a thank you to the woman while Connolly chuckled and slapped him on the back. "Let's spread the good news, my boy!"

And that led to the phone calls.

First, he called his father - he figured that'd be the easier of the two. Rufus had listened and said that while he didn't agree with the decision, it was Jack's to make, and he was sure he'd make the best of things, regardless. All the time, Jack felt the disappointment oozing through the phone line. Still he soldiered on.

The call to his mother.... that was far worse. She yelled so loudly that Jack had pulled the receiver away from his ear. "I do not trust that man," she hissed. Jack offered some platitudes, spoke of honoring his word, and so forth, but she was not easily assuaged. Jack listened as she carried on about Connolly and "that damn car" that apparently had caused two of Jack's brothers to get into some kind of trouble, or something (she was rambling a bit and Jack had a hard time following). Evenutally she wound down, told him that he'd "made his bed" and now would have to lie in it (more motherly wisdom, Jack presumed) before finally hanging up.

As he hung up the phone, Connolly had asked him, "Ever been to Winnipeg?"

And that was why, on what should have been the happiest day of his life, Jack was just... exhausted.

Figment League - A fictional history of baseball - Want to join in the fun? Shoot me a PM!

Read the story of the Barrell Family - A Figment Baseball tale

The Figment Sports Universe - More Fake Sports Than You Can Shake a Stick At!
legendsport is offline   Reply With Quote