View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
I suppose I mean that there’s a lot more goes on in players’ pre-MLB careers, like trades. So how long would a player need to be in a team’s feeder system?
Those details could be worked out. Someone is going to have to give up something to get something. I'd just like to see some real incentive for players to stay long term and for teams to keep players together long term.

Take the Chiefs. Mahomes is going to get his money. But that is probably going to mean some of his weapons are going to put the Chiefs over the cap if they keep them. KC may not want Sammy Watkins or Kelce to go elsewhere, they may want to give them their $ feeling they are worth it and earned it. But neither may have a choice. In my eye, something is wrong with that. The salary cap in that case means developing a bunch of stars is just going to benefit someone else. Another franchise that just throws money at the problem.

There should be a way for a team to develop thru the draft & minors and get the full benefit from their hard work if they want to. The rules shouldn't see a team that builds a player from a prospect to a superstar and then "punish" them as if they did something wrong. That's the objective of the minors & draft.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote