View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #18
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
While I don't see the punishment to the organization as a whole as weak (though I agree that the $5m fine is peanutes), I think the players should've been punished. Severely. If taking PED's is messing with the "integrity of the game," then surely cheating in the manner of the 2017 Astros to cop a title is just as bad, if not worse. Especially if it's "player-driven."

I also think that the Astros' championships should have been given an asterisk. That would have been an indirect way of punishing the players and everyone associated with the organization forevermore. As it is, 20 years from now this story will be nearly forgotten. But with an asterisk, the gravity of what they did would resonate in perpetuity, as it should.

As it is, this is merely ho-hum news for the players involved. How, substantively, is this significantly different from 1919? Other than the absence of the gambling angle. It was deliberate, blatant, and MAJOR cheating by players that decided a championship. The Black Sox were banned for life. The Astros who knew about it should be suspended for at least a year. Otherwise, as I noted above, this is ho-hum news for them.

So in the end, this is MLB wimping out, big-time.
Well one significant difference is that the astros were cheating to win and the white sox were cheating to lose.

I'm actually somewhat surprised the current ESPN headline straight says they "used technology to cheat" instead of soft bull**** like "allegedly stole signs"
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote