View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #109
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Hi all!

It’s October 21, 2031, and I want to tell a story. My Marlins are set to face Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the Astros (crazy, right?) in game one of the World Series today, and I wanted to talk about what has easily become my favorite OOTP franchise I’ve ever played. Here’s how we got here.

I took over the reigns as Miami’s GM as soon as OOTP 20 came out, mostly because the rosters weren’t updated yet and I was waiting until they were to start a save with my hometown Cubs. So I thought: let’s get the Marlins another ring, how hard can it be?

As it turns out, very.

The first several years were a classic struggle as we fought to get out of the doldrums of the rebuild. We didn’t make the playoffs until 2023, breaking a 20-year postseason-less streak. Then, the playoff heartbreak began. We promptly lost the series to the Dodgers 3-1 in the NLDS. We made the playoffs again in 2025. Lost 3-1 to the Nationals in the NLDS. 2028. Lost 3-0 to the Giants in the NLDS. 2029. My 114-win juggernaut, with a 2.78 TEAM ERA, loses 3-2 to the Cubs in, you guessed it, the NLDS. 2030. A 3-2 loss to the Padres in the freakin’ NLDS.

I was defeated. Frustrated. Unable to see a path forward for the team.

Which brings us to today.

I have a year left on my contract and I can sense my owner is getting impatient. We consistently make the playoffs, but we never do anything in them. I feel like the Nats. So I just say screw it. I’m going to run it back with all my favorite guys from these runs and hope it works out this time. If not, it’s my head.

We perform swimmingly. 106-56. 4th most runs scored in the league. Least runs against. Six batters with 3 or more WAR. We’re ready for the playoffs.

The NLDS is against our old foes, the Washington Nationals. The Nats have one of the greatest players in the game in Juan Soto, who at 32 has FOUR MVP awards, 90 career WAR, and a 165 OPS+. He doesn’t have a ring, though . They also have 35-year-old Pablo Lopez, who isn’t a significant bullpen contributor but is significant in that he played in Miami from 2018-2022, and he’s still kicking! The Nationals never win a game in the series, and the lasting image of the matchup comes in the bottom of the ninth in game three, with Juan Soto at the plate with his team down two. My closer strikes him out to end the game, and we win our first playoff series (not counting WC games) since 2003.

Now, it’s NLCS time against the Cardinals. Lo and behold, there are more rich storylines. St. Louis has Noah Smith on their roster, a 2B I drafted in with the seventh pick in 2021 who won 4 Gold Gloves with us and who I had to ship away after he asked for too much money in an extension. Also, Shohei Ohtani, who played one really good season in Miami on a bargain veteran contract. We take a 3-0 series lead and I start making my World Series plans. Little did I know STL had other plans. They storm back, rattling off three straight wins, and suddenly it’s in Miami for Game Seven. I get flashbacks to all the playoff runs that have ended in dismay. It all comes down to this.

I needn’t have worried.

We put up eight runs in the first five innings and steamroll our way to the World Series. I let out a real life scream of excitement. It’s finally time. The game one starter for Houston? Our former No. 2 overall pick.

So now, as I get ready to play for all the marbles, I wanted to take some time to reflect. To say, “Thank you Miami” and thank you to all the players that have come through and helped me along the way. Now let’s go win a ’ship.

TLDR: I’ve taken the Marlins to the World Series in a process thirteen years in the making, defeating old friends on my way to The Big One.

starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote