View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
IStillDream
Minors (Double A)

And here's two for retired players. The first would trigger for a former player who had high leadership.

The Honorable Congressman Varitek? Former Red Sox Great Running for Office

Former Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek was known throughout his career as a leader on the field and in the clubhouse, but if things go his way he might soon be known as a leader in Congress as well. The three-time all star announced at a rally in his home state of Michigan that he is throwing his cap into the ring as a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives. His speech promised to "help lead this nation into a new era of progress and possibility," but didn't go into many policy specifics. Former teammates, however, say this is no vanity project--he apparently would frequently talk politics in the locker room, and they say they're excited to see what their old teammate can do in the political arena.

And here's one for a retired player with high scores in intelligence.

Hardball Scholar: Mussina aiming for PHD

In recent years, celebrities as diverse as Natalie Portman, James Franco, and Brian May have shown their intellectual sides by earning degrees in subjects as diverse as Quantum Physics and English Literature. Now, a promiminent former Baseball player is joining them: former Yankees great Mike Mussina has announced he's entering a PHD program at Columbia University. While most ex-ballplayers start buisninesses, open restaurants, or stay in the game as coaches or analysts, Mussina says he relishes the chance to continue his education. "I always tried to read and keep up on things while I was playing," he said, "but since I retired I've really been able to devote myself to learning, and this seemed like the next logical step." And while it might seem like his classmates would have a hard time playing it cool while sitting in a classroom with a superstar athelete, he says he's the nervous one: "a lot of these kids are coming right from getting their undergrad degrees, or from seriously intilectual jobs. I've got a lot more rust to shake off." If he attacks the books the way he attacked opposing hitters, though, we're sure he has nothing to worry about.

More specifically, this one would need to look for players who are listed as having come from college, rather than high school. The school they're going to for the PHD could be the one they already attended, or picked at random from the database. (Also, "opposing hitters" would obviously change to "opposing pitchers" for a non-pitcher).
IStillDream is offline   Reply With Quote