View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Fernando Vargas

I had a heck of a time recreating an accurate sim for his career.
His prime was short-lived.

But consider this; at his best he fought very competitively with the following fighters

Winky Wright (He won a close decision. Some people thought he lost, but either way, it was close)

Ike Quartey (He out-toughed the very tough Quartey in the championship rounds)

Felix Trinidad (He floored Trinidad early, absorbed some tremendous bombs, and fought competitively until he was finally gunned down in 12th)

Oscar DeLaHoya (another great effort but came up short at the end)

The current ratings for Fernando Vargas make achieving the above results an impossibility)

Remember, the "chinny version" of Vargas we now see is the results of kayo losses to Trinidad and DeLaHoya. Those two fighters moved him from the "tough to beat" column to the "this car has had major repairs" column. That version fell even farther when Shane Mosley twice stopped him.

In order to recreate a prime Vargas, up his CF's from 10 to 11.
Also, he good offense and high workrate made him a little tougher to hit.
I changed his defense from a +2 to a +1.

With this version, I was able recreate a few of his historic performances without going overboard.

In my universe, he was kayoed by Julian Jackson. I then changed his rating to the current rating (I kept the first version that came with the game). He's now back to the CF's of 10/10 and has a defense of +2

Last night, he made a had his first comeback fight. I used the 10/10 ratings as I explained about above.

That version got brutally kayoed by a "nobody!" So, now, I'm dropping the 10/10 version to "post-prime" and have a very close simulation to his actual career.

With some fighters, I find it easier to create different versions to simulate different parts of their careers. Especially those who were very good, but suffered from the fast burnout syndrome after suffering their first major loss.
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote