View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #92
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

June 18th, 1985

The Reds are going with Jay Tibbs (3-3, 3.73). The Giants are answering with Atlee Hammaker (5-6, 3.48)

I have gone 3 for 4 against Tibbs. Time to step up.

I started off the bottom of the 1st by blasting one to centre but Eddie Milner got there to catch it.

I made my first defensive play on the 2nd, taking a grounder by Tom Foley for the 2nd out and then another from Tracy Jones for the 3rd.

I got the 1st out in the 3rd off a pop-up by Tibbs. After that Kal Daniels hit a triple... but Kenny Oberkfell nailed him with the hidden ball trick! Kind of bush league... but kind of funny too.

I came up that inning with two out and nobody on and grounded out to Dan Driessen at 1st.

The Reds opened the scoring in the 4th. Eric Davis walked then stole 2nd. He tried to steal 3rd and Bob Brenly threw the ball away, allowing him to score.

Reds up 1-0

In the 5th Daniels hit an RBI single, scoring Bill Russell from 2nd.

Reds lead 2-0

In the 6th Alan Knicely hit a two-run homer. Nestor turned the game over to Bill Laskey at that point. He let the Reds go back-to-back, surrendering a solo homer to Foley.

Reds up 5-0

I came up with none out and Laskey on 2nd. I singled to shallow left, moving Bill to 3rd. Then Kenny O singled and I went to 3rd as Laskey scored. Chili Davis lined out to Foley at 2nd... but he dropped it! I scored on the error. Then Brenly doubled, scoring Kenny. Jeff Leonard flew out, but Bob moved up to 3rd. Terry Harper singled, scoring Brenly. Tom O'Malley doubled, scoring Harper. John Castino flew out but then Sixto Lezcano pinch hit for Laskey and walked. I singled, scoring O'Malley. They finally changed their pitcher, to Warren Brusstar. I stole 2nd... of course. Kenny O flew out.

Did you count along?

Giants lead 7-5!

A two hit inning is a good inning in my books! Plus an RBI and a run scored!

Mark David took the mound for us. He handled the 7th but in the 8th he allowed two singles to lead off and Nestor went to Scott Garrelts. (Double switching with Brian Harper taking over for Terry Harper in right.) Russell hit into a Priske - Castino - O'Malley double play. Knicely was still on 3rd, though. Scott walked Tracy Jones and then Lee Mazzilli got a pinch hit single, scoring Knicely. Daniels walked and the bases were juiced. Driessen hit a scorcher but Castino managed to snag it to end the threat.

Giants still up 7-6.

I came up that inning with two out and nobody on, now facing Ted Power. I struck out.

Ron Davis came in to close things out... but couldn't. Eric Davis homered off Ron's second pitch, tying the game. Will Clark came in as pinch hitter but grounded out to me. The next three batters all hit singles, loading the bases. Ron struck out Jones and pinch hitter Paul Householder to avoid giving the Reds the lead.

We loaded the bases in the bottom half but also could not score. Off to extras!

Pat Perry took the ball in the 10th. He walked Driessen but allowed nothing else.

That inning I came up with two out and nobody on, now facing Donnie Moore. I struck out.

I got the 1st out in the 11th - a ground out by Wade Rowdon - after Knicely had doubled. We got out of it.

In the 12th Daniels reached on a single, but another Priske - Castino - O'Malley double play took care of him and Driessen.

Then, there in the 12th, with me standing on-deck, Brian Harper singled, scoring Perry from 3rd and giving us a walk-off 8-7 win!

Big win!

32-31.

I went 2 for 6, which isn't nothing.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote