View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #40
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post
Giving a realistic example for how fights do change the game is the Lucic incident on Miller. I bet if Buffalo had a Tough Guy on the ice or at least players who would fight Buffalo wouldn't have struggled so much. Players who fight bring teams together and a situation like that could have helped them form an identity much earlier in the season.

I also think most games and sims have never got fights right in terms of what they are all about. For example I've heard several people already state: "A won fight should give a morale boost, while a loss should not." First off, most fights aren't really wins or losses and even if sometimes if a player slightly loses the losing team might get more of a morale boost. Let's take this fictitious example:

Leafs versus Detroit.

Phaneuf on the boards passes it up to Lupul. Lupul turns to go up ice! BOOM What a hit by Kronwall... Lupul is down on the ice it looks like he's hurt... What is this Kessel is dropping the gloves?!

In real life as long as Kessel holds his own this is generally a positive thing for a leafs as you got a star player sticking up for your team mates and a guy that doesn't normally fight. (Extra morale boost, but even if Colton Orr jumped in it would still be good morale.)

In fact, I don't even think it's so much about a fight giving morale or not, it's more like the lack of the fight i.e. the Buffalo example. (Than stars start to second guess themselves and lose confidence in their game.) Tough guys are just their to make sure stars can play. So lack of tough guys or players willing to fight should hurt even the most skilled teams down the road.
yes this is some of the ideas i was wanting to bring accross
it is such a unique aspect of the sport- and only really appreciated today at the highest professional levels (or major junior) where fights still happen. And as mentioned never captured properly in any game to date. Just having 2 players "fight" and recive 5 minute penalties may look nice or realistic in a box score, but not really- because that fight could have had- based on various factors, no impact, some impact, great impact on the rest of the game. Been there many times- been part of how it changed a game, or how it did little (other than whoop up the crowd a bit).

And this impact gets bigger especially the further back in history one goes. back in the 1940's and 1950's start players didn't need to be protected by tough guys, they were the tough guys- which meant it was hard to check them, as the checking line assigned to ted lindsay, sid abel and gordie howe really did not want to have to hit them-
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote