View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #50
djday45
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
I hope I can help tie this Data Boxing/TBCB discussion up with one final point that I neglected to mention, but works into the methodology employed to rate boxers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (of course someone will, because I am usually wrong), as I recall Professor Compton bases a considerable portion of his ratings upon fight films he views and actually counts punches (type, power, etc.). I can't think of a system that would be more precise than his method of measurement.

Since TBCB involves a much larger universe, ratings are part quantification and part subjective impressionism (now ain't that a term!). The Compton approach wouldn't work for us. Christ, we can't find pictures for about 3/4 of all the fighters rated for the game---or articles, or web references of value---let alone fight films of them!

So djday45 hit the nail on the head---test it, test it, and test it. If it feels right---go with it. There's so much to a boxer (accuracy, power, defense, chin, etc.), and different people place empahasis upon different attributes.

If you've read the section on rating boxers (Appendix A) in the game manual, you'll recall the first line reads "There is probably nothing more difficult to rate in the world of sports simulations than a boxer....the best that one can do is to base a fighter's ratings on what we term 'intellegent speculation.'"

Speculate away, djday45---I'm running with you!
Lol thks guys but call me Dean! Ive been around the community enough years to call me by my first name!

Another thing that springs to mind for people to remember if you use mine or any other peoples ratings is that they will only really start to produce results for you and act as they should if you dont use them in isolation.

With that I mean for example my new johnson rating makes sense to me and produces excellent results but thats partly because im using it with my own Burns rating, Hart, Jeanette, Langford, McVey, Fitzsimmons, Ketchel, Willard and other fighters he faced etc etc.

No rating should be used in isolation they all branch out to each other and thats how you know a rating is working, not just in looking at the raw numbers on a page
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote