Thread: NFL 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #94
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Just off the top of my head, it seems that Colts' owner Jimmy Irsay and former Panthers' owner Jerry Richardson paid appropriate prices for their transgressions. And crossing sports, nobody can say that former Clippers' owner Donald Sterling got off easy... In fact, Richardson's price was likely moreso than a player would've paid for the same offenses.

The only point I'll agree with here is that, yes, it would be premature for the Patriots to release Brown before he gets his day in court (or before the legal system otherwise plays itself out)***. But the 49ers releasing Foster after his latest DV charge is not a case of a double-standard, nor would it be if Brown ends up being some form of guilty of sexual assault and gets released.

***That said, most agree that Brown is a selfish nut case and prone to being a distraction. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him cause additional problems that make it simply not worth the hassle, and in that scenario the Pats could certainly cut ties with him - and be justified in doing so - prior to the legal system running its course... (And I'm thinking the Patriots may already be second-guessing their decision to sign him.)
Jerry didn't get what he deserved until he got exposed. Call me skeptical in thinking the rest of the NFL had no idea he had multiple incidents that he hush-hushed. And the NFL allowed him to put the stipulation that any buyer of the team would have to keep his statue outside the stadium.

And as crazy as it sounds, I'm in the minority in thinking Sterling should have been kicked out. Is he a racist? Sure. and they could have thrown him out because of the many discrimination violations he incurred with his properties. But instead, they waited until he said some mean words in the privacy of his own home. I may despise racism, but I think a man ought to be able to say what he wants in his own house.

Irsay, Richardson & Sterling didn't get punished because of bad acts. They got punished because of bad publicity. So yeah, when public outcry gets bad enough, when the news cycle is slow, the 1% might get the "hammer" thrown at them. And what was that "hammer". Selling their teams for 10 figures. Yeah, cruel & unusual punishment there.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote