View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
For pitchers I do not use wins or ERA. I look at (walks+hits)/IP and look at home runs allowed and strike outs.
Anyway, this works for me but use whatever you are comfortable with.
I hear you. The thing about these spreadsheets - well, any spreadsheet - is that I could either swap the categories for others or weight them differently. As long as there are enough to capture the player's overall performance (not including defense in my case but that was a choice).

I tried to use the categories and weights that appealed to me most and, like I said in the OP, I am a bit of a traditionalist. So, I was not completely comfortable with Jacob deGrom winning the CY Award last year with a record of 10-9 (at least above .500!). I would have given the award to Miles Mikolas but it seems everybody focused on deGrom's ERA. Which was spectacular, I admit.

The object of the game is to win ballgames and the starting pitcher used to be key to that end. Now, of course, the era of winning 20+ games is virtually over and we are seeing pitching by committee. I prefer the Baseball that I grew up with, including 300 game winners.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Reed.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-12-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote