View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 02:43 AM   #66
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

August

12-15 for August, the beginning of the annual pennant chase Swoon. I wasn’t really paying attention, having too much fun in the tourneys right now.

Still, we’re in fairly good shape. Lead the division (+9), and tied for 1st overall. But letting them catch up is never a good idea. The Bowls are making a run at us, but they’re still 9 games down. Last 3 games of the season could really, really matter (but probably won’t). Magic number is 20, we can do that, can’t we guys? I think. Gulp.

Now what are they pouting about? Looks like September is a easy schedule, a lot of interleague games with teams that don’t frighten us.

Buck up, guys. The fans are much happier this year. It might even be time for our very first Perfect League Beatdown!

Looks like the starters took a little abuse, bullpen still on cruise control. The hitters are actually doing a bit better than ‘normal’, considering the ballpark they play in.

Games of Note: Justin Turner (of the goofy-looking baseball card fame) had a good week in there, including a walk off slam. Player of the Week, too.

Time for some Penguin attaboys for this season.

Dizzy Dean 2.97 ERA but only 11-8. Tsk, sloppy run support.
Moosina 12-6, 3.68. Mr. Consistency, unspectacular but solid.
Chris Sale not getting abused this year, 15-8, 3.73. Pretty sure that’s his only decent season in a tuxedo.
Olson, Hernandez, Vazquez–the core of the bullpen, always seem to do a terrific job. When the bullpen disappoints (rarely), it tends to be the middle men.
Lou Brock, solid Lou season. Seems very comfortable not playing the field much, watch your weight.
Heilman and Tauchman–I think of you both as DH’s, too. The problem is generally getting all three of you guys enough at bats.
Cedeno, Dihigo, same issue. Too many of you guys want to play CF.
Justin Turner, doing a good job no matter how goofy he looks. 3b is yours to lose.
Freeman solid but…corner men need to impress me more. Watching you.
Fosse, Fisk, Sandberg, Yount. Solid work from all of you, no complaints. Whenever the Catchers hit at all, it’s a good year.
Betts disappointing. He’s streaky. A streaky leadoff man? Ruh roh.
Giles decided he wants to be utility man. Hits like a utility man, too.
Kris Bryant. Decided he hates playing the outfield, but doesn’t hit enough to hold 3B. Our problem child in search of a replacement, this season. We can probably accommodate your ‘trade me’ request.