View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #49
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
As i simmed up to preseason 1881 i noticed something weird about the 1880 awards. a pitcher wins the mvp but not the cy young award. I thought he would naturally win both. Not something im complaining about because i like to have the controversy in a league. Gives it more life. Who knows what voters are thinking. Anyway heres a pic of the awards.
Remember that Monte Ward was a very good hitter IRL. It may very well be that the value of his hitting plus pitching outweighs the value of Jim McCormick's hitting plus pitching, and therefore Ward would be the more valuable overall player of the two. Looks to me like he's the better pitcher too, given that he pitched 120 innings more than McCormick at a very high level (perhaps not as high a level, but 120 innings is a helluva lot), but that's just my reading based on limited data. You could choose your own awards to overcome this, or (as you said) just leave the controversy as is.

One year in my random debut league, I chose Kelvim Escobar for the Cy Young Award, and Don Drysdale for the Babe Ruth Award (MVP). Escobar was clearly the better pitcher of the two, but when hitting and fielding were factored in Escobar slipped to fourth in MVP, allowing Allie Reynolds and Bret Saberhagen to slide in ahead of him. Bob Meusel and Dustin Pedroia were fifth and sixth respectively in a very close race (the closest I've ever seen). It's the only time I've ever done it in 16 seasons of picking awards, but it seemed right at the time, so I went with it.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote