View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1945, Part 2 - Staub, Mathews, White

The spreadsheet had 292 hitters on it for consideration when the 1945 screening began. The standards for this class were high in comparison to the runs I had done before when reaching this mass induction year. Considering the random debut had been much heavier on pitching greats than hitting greats, I guessed that I would have to go through the whole list, and I did. It is now down to 121 eligible players. The higher the standards, the harder to get in, and the easier to be dropped from future consideration.

5 players got in on regular or Veteran standards. The remaining 4 were filled by alternating between highest placement on either VORP/WAR list, or by a career leader in a category.

----------

Rusty Staub debuted in 1920 and retired in 1940. He collected 3192 hits while batting .308. He was an MVP, All-Star, and collected 4 GGs. He batted .368 in 1924 to win a batting title. He appeared in one WS and was on the winning team.

In statistical oddity, he scored exactly the same number of runs as RBI, 1604.

He enters on the basis of his HOFs number being above the Hall average.

He ranks 9th on the all time hit list. At the time of his selection, there was no eligible player with more base hits, runs, or RBI.

Black Ink 14 (4)
Gray Ink 166 (89)
HOFm 147.5 (59)
HOFs 61 (38)

----------

Eddie Mathews joins Joe Morgan and Lou Gehrig as batters who were not selected by the program to be in the HOF and be inducted using this method.

He played from 1892 to 1910. In that time he won 5 MVPs, 4 GGs, ROY, and was an ALL-Star 7 times. He led the league in HR 4 times, with a career best season of 22 in 1894 and when he retired he was the career leader with 157.

He batted .370 in 1897 to win a batting title and batted .298 for his career. He retired with 2560 base hits.

Mathews enters the Hall on the Veterans Standard.

Black 50 (16)
Gray 224 (183)
HOFm 183.5 (162)
HOFs 49 (54)

------------

Bill White was the first inductee in this class to enter after all players on the spreadsheet had been examined by current standards. This means he was looked at, found not to meet the criteria of the players retired for less than 20 years and put back in the pool. When all the players were screened and 4 slots remained, I gave a slot to the player with the highest position on the VORP and/or WAR career list that was eligible. For 1945 this simply means retired.

White was selected by the program, when he retired. He definitely had a HOF career, but was not such a dominant player as to get in on the first ballot.

He played from 1920 to 1939 and collected 3106 base hits in that time, placing him 12th All-Time (6 ahead of Rod Carew). He was an All Star three times and a GG winner four times.

IRL, White was the first minority to hold the post of a League President. In my little baseball world it is nice to know that such things are of no importance. The only color barriers there are are colored Black and Gray. What a wonderful world.

On that note, White's B/G numbers are the lowest of any Hall member.

Black 4 (1)
Gray 126 (85)
HOFm 129 (63)
HOFs 52 (22)
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote