View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I have historical owners on my transaction list but some owners are hard to find. For a business owning a team i just use Company for the last name. It could say The CBS company has looked at your roster.
Well, as I see it, the problem isn't that companies don't have last names, it's that the game thinks companies are all men. But if you're more interested in getting the owners right than the pronouns, this isn't an insurmountable problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
What is mopre of a problem is when an estate owns the team. I just put the family name as first name and Estate as last. Unless i can find out who was in charge of the estate or running the team.
Usually when a trust or a consortium owns a franchise there's someone who is the "face" of that team. After all, somebody has to attend league meetings. For instance, in the wake of Tom Yawkey's death the Red Sox were owned by a trust that he set up. His widow, Jean Yawkey, was one of the trustees and was the most visible representative of the team's ownership. Technically, the trust owned the team, but if you had to point to someone as the owner, it would have been her. Likewise, Bill Veeck sold the White Sox (the second time) to a group led by Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn. Reinsdorf quickly became the most active member of the group and is now generally regarded as the "owner," even though I don't know if he has ever held more than a 50% stake in the franchise. And the aforementioned Veeck never held a majority interest in any of the clubs that he ran.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote