View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #85
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Thoughts and Chart

I forgot to mention something about the Mize induction that is noteworthy. Johnny Mize is the first entrant to have all of his 9 most similar players to be in the Hall at the time of his induction. There are others who have 8 of 9 and the ninth will get in when eligible, but Mize is the first to have all already in. The CG has dipped to a 3.7 mean and the median has dipped to 3.4. The players becoming eligible now have played their entire careers in a 36 team environment. So, with the entrants being tied to the actual HOF, those getting in here are fighting with more players for the Ink points, and to a lesser degree for the HOFm points tied to WS appearances.

Since Will Clark's entry (plot 123), there has not been a single player of the next 17 (actually 19, I have the next two ready to post) that has had a Black Ink score above the Hall average. Reggie Jackson was close, and he did get in on the FBS because his Gray Ink number took his combined Ink score above that average (as well as the HOFm/s combined score being above the Hall average.

This dynamic is what brought George Perring in. He was a borderline inductee with his HOFs score, but that score is what the majority of entrants have been using to get in, of late. With that being the case, the HOFs average had been trending upward, and away from Perring's. However, the Ink numbers have been trending downward, and Perring's Ink composite was good enough to get in on the Veteran Standard as it dipped downward. I did not think Perring would get in, and I did not see him getting in this way, but that is how it worked out for him.

In the previous league, I had players with 3000 hits not get in, due to the low injury setting. This is not happening here. Right now there are 2 players with 2700 hits who are eligible, but not enshrined. Both of those will be getting in. In the 2600s is where it appears that the player with the most hits who doesn't get in will come from.

With the Ink numbers being so scarce, a player that puts together 2 dominant seasons (read Triple Crown seasons) will get in if he plays the requisite 10 seasons. I mention this because there is a current player who just won his second consecutive Triple Crown and third MVP in only three seasons of play. IRL this player did not play 10 seasons. If he suffers a CEI before he gets 10 years in, I will make note of him. Oh, and btw, in this past season, not only did he win the triple crown, he also led the league in SBs, pulling the Ty Cobb Triple Crown Plus One.

The chart shows the recent downward trend in the plots due to the scarcity of points in a 36 team environment. That the players are scoring lower does not mean they were less valuable than in the previous league, it simply means that in this league, the numbers are harder to come by. But, since the HOF picks are based on relative performance to this league and not an arbitrary standard based on any other league, Real or OOTP, the model functions as it is intended.

ADD: Mize's most similar players are Fred McGriff, Boog Powell, Albert Belle, Adrian Gonzalez, Will Clark, Lance Berkman, Joey Votto, Beals Becker and Dick Allen...in that order.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 04-04-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: ADD
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote