View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #14
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I wonder if we have a large enough population to fully sustain the current tournaments and allow additional tournaments or tournament modes.

I always thought that tournaments would also feature more traditional leagues that would play for a season but end in 1/3 the time. Want a quick league with friends, join a certain league tournament and play for 2-3 days (so it is not just click and walk away).

It is already frustrating to see that cap1875 had to be cut back to just a single one.

Do we need ghost teams to fill tournaments that can win but not collect rewards? Any ghost team win is channeled back into the reward pot but increases the payout of the next tournament (like the lottery that increases and attracts more players the next time).

I still believe we have only scratched the surface of how tournaments can be utilized in the future.
This is what they really need to do:

1) Make dailies and weeklies playable without the full number firing off. Gave out a crappy card reward that only 40/128 players are interested in? Fire it off anyway, then maybe transition that daily to a weekly or weekly to a monthly if there isn't interest.

2) Create an "OOTP Tourney Tour". Maybe give someone 1 TP (=Tour Point) for winning a daily, and feature a main PT Tour Weekly that gives out a big reward and like 5 TP and a big card reward to the winner. Keep the formats fresh and varied; one week have a "lost in time" format which is played in deadball era with only LIVEs allowed, and the next week do an "Old Timer's Cap" where you do a 1625 cap tourney with an age minimum of 35 on the players, etc. You want to make the available participant list as large as possible, so just pick a huge number like 1024 and then utilize (1) to structure the tourney.

3) Run an OOTP Tour Monthy where you allow entry for people who generated 5 TP (or some cutoff) in that month, and have the card reward be some huge, exclusive, only-copy-in-the-game perfect card. Anything to make tourneys a format where successes mean something.

=====================================

Collections are great on all fronts. My only issue is that I think there needs to be more care taken to make sure those collections toppers are truly deserving of that status. If they're not a hall of famer (or similar), they shouldn't be a chase card. That said, I'm sure it's easier to achieve that in PT21 since you can plan the collections content and the base game content at the same time.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote