View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
Ceej
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
I do remember John Smoltz had season-ending elbow surgery about a week or two for the strike and was said to have been unavailable for the remainder of the season.
You're right. The season was not officially canceled until September 14 so it's conceivable that play could have resumed and then the Braves would have had to play down the stretch without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I'm still not 100% sure, though, how to handle certain injuries. For example, if a guy was out since late June with a strained groin, should I assume he would have returned and set a date for that, or leave him alone, or remove him from the rest of the season?
You could look at recovery times for players who had the same injuries and estimate a timetable based on those. I looked at DL stints for groin injuries from 1990-'95 and almost all of them lasted around a month - the exceptions were Dave Johnson in 1991 taking ten weeks because he relapsed, and Bryan Harvey's was taking longer because it required surgery. Back problems are perhaps the hardest to estimate recovery times for though, they range from just missing a month to being season-ending.

For the sake of completeness I'll take the time here to list all the players who missed the entire season, but did play in the majors again. I don't *think* anybody on this list would have had a chance to come back late in the season had it continued (Chipper Jones among them).

ATL - Chipper Jones (tore knee ligament in spring training)
CAL - Andy Allanson (did play in the minors that year, but had season-ending surgery in July), Julio Valera (Tommy John surgery)
CHW - Scott Radinsky (Hodgkin's Disease)
CIN - Rob Dibble (labrum and rotator cuff surgery), Ron Gant (fractured fibia and tibula in preseason dirtbike accident)
MON - Scott Aldred (Tommy John surgery)
PHI - Norm Charlton (Tommy John surgery)
SFG - Trevor Wilson (shoulder surgery)
STL - Donovan Osborne (shoulder surgery)
TOR - Duane Ward (shoulder surgery)
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote