View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Dual Players 101 (Or How to develop the Next Babe Ruth)

Hello all,

After having several requests for help with this issue I have decided to just type up a “How To” about the subject. Everyone is familiar with the players, those guys drafted who you look at and say “Damn, I wish there was a way to develop and use this guy as Both a Pitcher and A Position player” Well it is your Lucky day, cause it can be done, and I’m here to tell you how I do it. Here is a little background on how my infatuation with this type of player began in OOTP.

One day I was toiling with the Idea of starting a Dynasty on the OOTP forums and I wanted it to be totally Original. I have always been infatuated with the Greatest Player ever to play the game… BABE RUTH…there is no argument that anyone else can make that will change my mind. Before Ruth was the “Sultan of Swat” he was one of the Best Pitchers in Baseball. So my idea was to start a Dynasty with Babe Ruth in 1918 (The first year he actually played Both ways on a regular basis) This Dynasty is still going strong and is now in 1923, It’s 6th season.

<Shameless Plug to follow>
You can see it here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-history.html

I have taken what I learned doing this Ruth Dynasty and applied it in theory to my online leagues. Using this system in the modern era brought a whole new set of obstacles since “stamina” by nature in the early 1900’s is so much higher by default than the Modern day. But the system I have developed is working as we speak in no less than 5 online leagues, and while your chances of actually getting a player capable of playing “both ways” are slim. I feel that you increase your chances of having them develop at least one set of skills acceptable at the ML level either Batting or Pitching…If you get Both consider yourself Lucky. And Frankly no matter what anyone says in rebuttal to this system or theory and it’s irrelevance to player development, Doing this with players is just DAMN FUN in my Opinion! So onto the system. (Note I’m not revealing all my secrets in this post) You guys need to learn some things for yourself) LOL

First off a few ground rules.

1) It is for the most part impossible to do it with anything other than a Starting Pitcher. (You must have control of when the player pitches)

2) The use of 7-day Lineups is an absolute MUST (If you don’t have the time or patience for this just quit reading right now)

3) I highly recommend you use a 6-man rotation on the team of the player you are developing. (If you get the player developed and into the Big Leagues you will most likely know the system well enough by then to use him in a 5 man rotation)

4) Players absolutely must have days off between Pitching and playing the field BUT always and I mean ALWAYS have you players position listed as SP no matter what he is doing.

5) A rule of thumb is minimum of 1 day off before he pitches and 2 days off after he pitches, This will give the player 3 “position days “per week , if your league doesn’t use the DH he’ll pitch once and play the field 3 time batting in a total of 4 games that week

6) If the League does use the DH he can't bat when he pitches, I have never found a way to make this work

7) Don’t get in a hurry, no need to over use the player when fatigued and run the risk of injury.

A typical week for a player would be
Monday: Use as the Starting Pitcher (and Hopefully bat)
Tuesday: Off day
Wednesday: Off day
Thursday: DH (Or play position)
Friday: DH (or play Position0
Saturday: DH (Or Play position) If your Pitcher is hitting when he is Pitching, or seems to be getting to the mound Fatigued..give him this day off too.
Sunday: Off Day

Then Rinse ,Lather, repeat the next week. I do have a Player in my WBF Online League who has made it to the ML roster and is being used as both a SP and LF….

It is also nice if you can work his Starts pitching around scheduled days off. This is one reason a 6 man Rotation is so important, it gives you more flexibility. For beginners it may be a good Idea to use a 6 man rotation without the Player your training even listed in the rotation While still having him listed as a SP, (this prevents the Game from using him as a defensive replacement or PH) so you can hand select when he starts and maybe get him a little more plate Appearances.

Questions or Comments are welcome. Good Luck and have fun with it, Maybe you will be the guy who develops the next Babe Ruth!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 11-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote