View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #42
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
Hiya OGM! I would postulate that "Headiness" has nothing to do with a ball players defense or offense for that matter though maybe a little with leadership which is where Jeter truly excelled (oh and with the ladies as well). I mean how does being shrewd or intelligent have anything to do with playing better defense? Think about it, as defense is a combination of learned memory (practice and experience) and physical skills. Without excelling at those, smartness gets you nada. Does that make sense?
The last sentence makes a great deal of sense (you need the basic fielding skills), but smartness would be one more attribute. Have you ever played shortstop? Think of it like a player's baseball DNA...his infielder, specifically shortstop IQ is a very important differentiator between Jeter & MAYBE at times a player like Alex Rodriguez out there. I don't want to get down on A-Rod when he was a great SS...but he had such natural talent that at times I would say he was stupid out there...

And if you've ever played SS or carefully observed a shortstop you can see you need to be awake AND smart out there in many instances on many plays.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-20-2020 at 11:27 PM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote