View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

They were both entitled monsters.. so if personality is the deciding factor, it's more like choosing between 2 piles of pooh.

i thnk the better word is.. some people are fanatical about griffey, and some people are fanatical about bonds. fans don't care for reason.

who they "like" more wasn't the question, but that's typically what it comes down to for most people. not facts or rational and logical though, rather feelings. it's fine for this topic, but it creeps into the more important things too.

<to the confused person, had a mistype above.. context should have helped you out)

and, i think someone is giving sparky andersons "1" interaction with griffey a little too much weight (another fan?). griffey was a stud at 19 in the MLB. Long before he met sparky. unlike his dad, griffey sr., it didn't take JR ~4 years to become an offensive threat.

*going a bit on memory, looked at it the last time i posted here.. he had some rough first years and was no where near a "teen" when he figured it out. griffey jr @19 was an all-around player his rookie year and on. immediate all star / future hof candidate (with health and did make it in the end) after 4-5 years he had a ~300ba and awesome power numbers, rather insane power numbers for his age.

griffey jr may have had a work ethic up until ~30 or so. . think he had a couple good seasons after that, but most were junky relative to the first half of his career or injury-plagued. he just showed up to collect his paycheck and try to solely put his name as high as possible on the hr list wihtout care of his team.

and he most definiteyl was taking roids too. that's also why his body broke down so horribly in his 30's.. bonds started those a bit later and i think that allowed him to play longer (he was quite frail the last 2-3 years too). they are both likely having all sorts of tendon/ligament and bone problems now or in the future.

bonds was still a better. he did it longer and more consistently. 1 year window = toss up, wouldn't argue between their peak non-roided out years. however, how can you pass on a cornerstone for your team spanning more than 2 decades? rather than some broken down has been in his 30's just trying to pad his hr #'s.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-18-2018 at 03:09 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote