View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
TDF
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensufc View Post
I love sports management simulations and found this on the App Store so thought I would give it a try. But being from England I know nothing about baseball so even though the game looks great, I'm struggling to get started. I mean I don't even know how many players of each position I need in the draft.

Is there any guide or would anyone be willing to teach me a little about the game to get me going. The manual seems to presume that you already kid of understand baseball which i don't hahah.

Any help would be great. Cheers
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but here are the basics:

9 Innings Per Game
Each team gets to bat once per inning
A team's batting ends after three outs, then the other team takes over.
The pitcher throws the ball towards the batter, and the batter has to hit it (Like Cricket, I think).
The batter hits the ball and has to run around the bases. They may stop at any of the bases. Most batters only get to first before stopping. They then are base runners, not batters. There may be only 1 runner on a base at a time. So if a runner is on 1st Base, they must attempt to run to 2nd if there is a hit.

Outs can be made:
- 3 Strikes (3 good pitches that the batter does not swing at)
- Catching a hit in the air
- Tagging a runner
- Having an outfielder posses a ball and step on a base that a runner is running to

The outfielders consist of:
Left Field
Center Field
Right Field
(These three play deep)
1st Base
2nd Base
3rd Base
(Play on the base)
SS
(Plays between 2nd and 3rd)
C
(Plays behing home plate)

For each game, you need 8 outfielders (Basically Defense) and 1 Starting Pitcher. The Starting Pitcher (SP) will stop pitching around the 6th inning, and will be replaced by 2-3 more pitchers. The outfielders are almost never switched, unless there is an injury.

So your 25 man roster should probably have about:
12 outfielders (At least 1 of each position. Probably want at least 2 extra Fs, and 2 extra basemen)
13 pitchers (About 5 starters, the rest should be MR or CL)

Hope that helped!
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote