View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
pbar25
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
So by bidding more than the min increase, you don't get a cushion ala ebay. It'd be nice to bid the max you want to give for a player instead of continuing to watch and see if you need to up it again. Also, it'd be nice to give less than your max if no one beat that max.
Correct, no bid cushion. It adds to the strategies involved in that with only 3 bids you need to decide on a tactic -- bid the minimum amount for a bargain, or aggressively go after the must-have player.

I understand the request, but abstractly it's a public offer to a player's agent. So in baseball terms, I just don't see them lowering the amount they'd sign for after it's offered.
I'd think back to the ARod Texas deal...I'm sure Hicks would have liked if he could have gotten it reduced to $1 more then the next highest offer.

I believe on Ebay the max bid is not displayed to others?
The biggest issue with that scenario within an open bidding system is this:
If you bid $50 MAX, and I see it....I'm going to bid $49 MAX so you don't get any type of deal. So the deal you are looking for would be countered by other aggressive owners paying attention.
In a nutshell: If I know you only have to pay $1 more then the 2nd highest bid, I'd just make the 2nd highest bid $1 less then your bid since I'd risk nothing.