View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #30
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjager View Post
No, they are two separate entities.
In order to play the game after purchasing it from Steam your PC MUST be connected to the internet. The game is validated each time you launch it.

In the age of broadband this is not a big deal but some people still haveproblems with that aspect of the service.
Which introduces two more variables that could prevent me from playing OOTP when (and where) I want to, besides the current condition of my laptop: 1) Availability of Internet service; I play OOTP anywhere I go with my laptop now, whereas with Steam I would be confined to the radius of my wireless transmitter, and that's assuming my ISP is not having any problems, and 2) Availability of the Steam web site, which could be an issue any time in the short-run and is definitely a question for the long-term; I have seen too many web sites and Internet-based companies come and go to be comfortable putting all my eggs in such a basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Ugh @ Steam. If it's still as FJ stated having my system always having to be online and yet more software runnign all the time? Blah.
That software comment brings up another issue. I feel confident after several years of dealing with OOTP that any technical problems that I encounter, if they are common enough, will eventually be addressed. Also, OOTP has never caused a conflict on my computer with any other software. Can the same be said of Steam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Yeah, I certainly didn't want to broadcast it in a big post, which seems unnecessarily aggressive, but we do make more money if you buy from us directly (i.e. with eLicense). Which is fine, really, because the point of Steam for us isn't to move sales from our existing customer base to Steam, but rather to reach a larger audience.
I'm glad for this, in both respects. I hope that you will never abandon the traditional PC-resident program design, however. Even if Steam allows you to save your league locally, what would be the point of that if the game were to be accessible only online? I don't think I could ever trust that situation.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote