View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
Hi All,

I picked this game up on a Steam sale, because I like management sims. I've started a new game and taken over Milton Keynes in the English League. But now I realized I don't know anything at all about Hockey, and that might be a problem since I am managing a Hockey team. These are the major questions I have:

1. I know NHL teams have four lines. I don't have nearly enough players in England to make up that many lines without dipping into my youth teams. Would a team on the English level need 4 lines?

2. When I see 'winger' I'm equating that to soccer. So do wingers usually control their side of play and try to get assists? Would a right handed player on the left wing tend to cut inside and take more shots than a left handed player?

3. What does the center generally do? Is he the goal scorer or is he more of a transitional player between defense and offense, like a midfielder?

4. I know what enforcers and agitators do, but why would I want them and how do they help me win? Signing an enforcer sounds like signing a baseball pitcher whose only role is to throw at people. And agitators sound like crappy players whose main skill is being a dick.

5. How do the youth teams work? Do I fill them with free agents of that age group and just see how they progress?

and 6. I can't sign any staff because they ask too much money. But I'd like to scout individual players, is there no way I can have someone scout a region AND look at individual players like in FM?

Thanks.
I got some time so I may be able to help.

1. Most hockey teams at all levels run 4 forward lines and 3 defensive lines. Some (mostly european teams) run 4 defensive lines but still using only 6 defenders as that is all you can dress. If you don't have enough players to fill out a roster you will likely have to hit Free Agency to sign enough guys to fill out a roster. If you are in a lower tier league you won't be able to sign any high ability guys as they play in higher tiered leagues.

2. Wingers can come in a variety of player types. There are scorers like Ovechkin and Tarasenko but also playmakers like Marty St. Louis and Patrick Kane. One of your top lines should usually be built around at least one goalscorer and one playmaker, it doesn't really matter what position they play. Generally though pure goalscorers are more often Wingers.

3. Centers have the most defensive responsibility of any forwards on the ice as they control the middle lane. Most centers should have some defensive abilities. You want your top centers to be either 2way players or playmakers. I'd transition most goalscoring centers to wingers personally.

4. Having agitators and enforcers is entirely up to you. Most lower tiered leagues, especially those in North America are full of these kinds of players. I find simply dressing solid two-way players at the bottom of my lineup is sufficient and usually wins me more games. I only keep around agitators if they have decent offensive or defensive abilities. At higher levels, like the NHL, many of these guys are being replaced with skill or defensive players. European leagues often times have very few of these kinds of players because of stiffer rules on fighting.

5. Youth teams are for younger players to develop their games. You would usually keep them down there for awhile until they start producing well and then call them up. If they can manage to hold their own then you can keep them around. If they get eaten up, send them back down for more development.

6. Depending on the league it might be hard to get scouts. You might want to go into commissioner mode and edit a scout onto your team. You can definitely scout individual regions.
DaximusPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote