Thread: My Universe
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #1330
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

May 1942 - Part 2 of 2 (partial)

Well, unfortunately, it's another case of the dog ate my homework and apparently I forgot to post the second half of May 1942 before overwriting most of the information. In fact, all I am able to recover right now is the results from a WBA title clash between Tony Canzoneri, the defender, and Jack Kid Berg, the challenger. Here goes …

Long-time WBA LW Champ Tony Canzoneri – who has held the belt for almost a decade (except for brief spell when Henry Armstrong held it) – faces Jack Kid Berg, long-time EBU and CBU LW Champion, for the WBA LW title, and this for, the sixth time going back to the late 1920s. Canzoneri has won three, Berg twice, all for the WBA title, but Berg has not tasted victory over Canzoneri for a long time – since 1929. This time around, both men are at Post-Prime career stage but still retain most of their boxing skills. For Canzoneri, it’s his first title defense since 1941 after an unsuccessful foray into the WW ranks. The action is slow to develop, as both fighters look to go the distance, so the pace is rather pedestrian through the opening rounds. By the end of round three, the challenger has begun to find the range with his punches, so much so that there is a trace of swelling around the right eye of Canzoneri. After five, it’s a close bout, as indicated by the unofficial scorecard, which has it dead even (48-48). Canzoneri, the “Roman Warrior,” has the upper hand in terms of punches landed, and he becomes the aggressor as the bout enters the middle rounds. In round eight, Berg sustains a cut over his right eye. After round 10, Canzoneri has wrested the points lead, at least according to the unofficial card (by a count of 97-94). Berg, the “Whitechapel Whirlwind,” goes on the attack as the bout enters its final stages, despite Canzoneri’s evident superiority and the fact that Berg has become fatigued and increasingly frustrated by his inability to break down the Champion’s defenses. Then, early in round 13, a shocking development, as Canzoneri lands a punch but comes away in agony – a serious hand injury, forcing his retirement from the bout. TKO 13 for Berg – a sad way to see Canzoneri’s title reign come to an end. Post-bout career marks: Berg, 48-18-5 (16); Canzoneri, 54-7-4 (17). There is little talk of a rematch, given that Canzoneri will hit End career stage with his next bout, and obviously counting the days until he hangs up the gloves for good, wrapping up a stellar career.

Sorry about this miscue, currently wrapping up the action from the first half of June 1942, so a fuller report upcoming.

Last edited by JCWeb; 06-17-2019 at 06:24 PM.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote