View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Thursday, December 7, Year 0

The Rule V Draft was today and 4 players were picked: 2 by us and 2 by Minnesota. We took RP Antoine Redd (30-R) from Pittsburgh and RF Gordon Saunderson (25-L) from Seattle. Pittsburgh lost 2 players, Seattle 1 and Denver 1.

Redd is great. In 5 MLB seasons, he has a 2.74 ERA, though only 8 SV. He immediately goes to the top of our Bullpen depth chart. We needed a backup right fielder and all the free agents were either too expensive or too stinky and I could not get a decent one in a trade without giving up too much talent. Saunderson is an Australian with average (or below) range and a very strong arm. He bats from the left side and hit decently in AAA this past season: .288/.389/.414. He stole 14 bases. He has never played in the Majors.

After the draft, I made a trade.

Trade #10:

SP Jorge Ortiz (28-L), LF Jim Bakutis (25-S) and 2 minor leaguers: C Ron Webb (19-R) and CF Chris Hagerty (23-L) to Dallas for 2 minor leaguers: SP Fred Hunt (18-R) and CF Jeff Schottler (24-R).

Ortiz is 39-29 with a 3.47 ERA in 4 Big League seasons, but his season ended in July this year with elbow surgery. Bakutis only hit .248 with a .652 OPS in 125 AB as a rookie this past year, but looks to be a solid hitter with power who is indifferent to playing defense. Webb was our 2nd round pick last June. He cannot outrun my pet three-legged turtle, though, so he has to go. Hagerty was our 2nd round pick 3 drafts ago and looks to be a solid line drive hitter with great speed, but not much home run power and he swings at a lot of bad pitches.

I like Big Prospects; I cannot lie! We got 2 of them in this trade! They were the first players selected by Dallas in each of the last 2 drafts. Hunt was chosen 10th overall this season. He gave up 1 earned run his senior season in high school. His inaugural pro season ended in August with surgery to remove bone chips, so we may have an injury prone fellow on our hands here. Or maybe it has been fixed up and he will be healthy from here on out. Only time will tell. Normally, that surgery would scare me off of trading for a player, but he looks so awesome that I had to have him. Plus, he is not all we are getting in the trade, so even if he turns out to be a bust, we can still come out ahead in the deal. Schottler was the 7th pick in the draft a year ago. He looks to be super solid in all areas of his game, though with no one big flashy skill. He will begin the season in AA. He can even play some second base, but though his range is excellent, his hands are not.

We should have more than one ranked prospect this April in Baseball America's annual list!

I also made one final offer to a free agent: $350,000 for one year to OF/2B Rob Watrous (33-R). He started 97 games for Seattle last year and got 354 AB. He hit .268 with 14 HR and a .765 OPS. If he signs, he will platoon in center, facing left-handers.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote