View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaghmour2 View Post
I'd say it's really hard to full out rebuild in a sim like this. As a Blue Jay fan, I tend to do the same thing you do with getting Blue Jay prospects and sometimes you get years with a bunch of scrubs. It's easier to just weather the storm and try to always get better. Worst case, trade expiring Free Agents (can't remember if you have Free Agency turned on) and pick up any sort of young guys you can. There's no benefit of losing games with no draft, and it's a lot more fun when you win games lol.
Thanks for your comment. I also have a soft spot for the Blue Jays being from Canada, and growing up and (vaguely) remembering the back-to-back World Series wins. All the kids loved Alomar. Funny that the Rangers and Jays had a rivalry a few years back.

Free agency isn't really a thing, and I assume it won't be until 1976 when it came about in history. So it's coming soon. What happens now is players just get automatically arbitrated with new 1-year contracts every year. Costs rise a lot if they have good seasons.

I tried to plan for the future by locking-in players like Nolan Ryan to multi-year contracts to save big on inflation in the future. But players don't seem to accept anything other than 1-year deals right now.

The historical financial management seems to be harder than current day MLB, the latter of which is a sweet deal for the owners and easy to run a young moneyball team. I don't mind the historical setup because it adds some nice challenge.

You're right that there's no benefit to losing games, and that my focus is on winning. That's a positive thing. Every offseason I not only try to make my team better, but end up making it worse intentionally in a few of my trades just to save on salary costs. As a fledgling franchise in Texas, the Rangers aren't a popular team and don't bring in a lot of money yet. So I have to not only work within a budget, but also try to win games to bring more fan support.

All in all it's an interesting challenge and I'm enjoying it.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote