View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Texas Rangers (Est. 1972)

INTRODUCTION

Hello, and welcome to my dynasty thread. I'm taking over the Texas Rangers from their beginning in 1972. The initial players are holdovers from the Washington Senators, but I feel this is the real start of the franchise. The Rangers have been my favourite team since I played Ken Griffey Jr. Presents on the SNES growing up. Juan Gonzalez was a beast in that game, and due to no MLBPA license all of the players had cool cowboy names like W. Earp and B. Hickok.

The main goals of this save will be to:

1. Exceed the historical success of the real Texas Rangers. One World Series title should do that. Once I have that, the goal becomes to be a real long-term dynasty.

2. Put as many Texas Rangers into the Hall of Fame as possible. In real life only Nolan Ryan and Pudge are wearing a Rangers cap. And Ryan's choice of the Rangers is a bit dubious. So I'll improve on this.

RELEVANT SETTINGS

1. 3-Year Recalc with Current Year Double-Weighted. I tried the Development Engine only in a test run, but it was too random for my taste. I'll try not to exploit the AI, but Texas starts off pretty weak so I'll have a bit of challenge.

2. Historical Rookies Import to their Teams. This will save time on drafting and add more historical flavour. Will try to build around a core of Rangers.

3. League Evolution On. The MLB will expand as relevant, and rules and strategy will update as the years pass by.

INITIAL PRIORITIES

1. Try to trade for Fergie Jenkins and Nolan Ryan. Getting them early will both help my team and ensure they have a Rangers cap in the Hall.

2. Also try to trade for Buddy Bell and Al Oliver. These guys are outside shots at the Hall, but they were also good historical Rangers I want.

For initial prospects I only have Bill Madlock who has a chance at the Hall. But given that I'd only play him as 1B/DH and that he didn't play much as a Ranger, I'll probably need him for my trade packages.

Any advice or comments or questions welcome!

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-13-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote