View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Worst Start Ever - 1908

I read a pretty cool concept on the site a while ago how someone started a historical 1901, piloted the worst team until championship and then took over the worst team at that time and so on.

I decided to do the same thing with a combination of simmed and played out games. Taking over the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers turned St Louis Browns, it took me 6 seasons to finally bring the crown home after making it to the World Series 3 different times and building quite a powerhouse of a team.

In 1907, I took over the lowly Washington Senators who had a record of 62-92 in 1906 with rookie Walter Johnson as the only player higher than 1.5 stars in the entire organization.

As you can imagine, 1907 was a rough year especially when Johnson went down for 4.5 months with a should injury in April. I had a great draft, picking up great players overlooked by other teams, including Shoeless Joe, Smoky Joe Wood (1st overall pick), Hippo Vaughn and Josh Devore. With a few trades, my team didn't look too bad. We finished last with a record of 52-102. Smoky Joe went down with a Tommy John injury and was lost in September for 13 months, but I was still optimistic about 1908 and also having the 1st round pick again.

The 1908 season started and things all went wrong right from the beginning. In the first week, I lost CF Fred Snodgrass and SP Hippo Vaughn to injuries. But even worse, I became completely plagued with 1-run losses. By the end of April, I am 3-12. The more amazing stat out of the 2-10 start is my record of 1-10 in 1-run games with 4 of the losses coming in the 9th inning. Walter Johnson is 0-4 with a 2.91 ERA and my lone hitter above .300 is Josh Devore at .351 among a team batting average of .217

It's going to be a long season...