View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Contender Fight

John Ruiz vs. Calvin Brock (Heavyweight)

Early Line: Brock on the comeback trail after a title shot ended in a knockout defeat two years ago. John Ruiz, an up and coming clutch and grab Heavyweight contender is undefeated. No Doze (containing 200 mg of caffiene is available at the concession stand) during Ruiz's fights.

The Fight: Both fighters trade sharp punches to begin the first. Brock lands a huge right hand and Ruiz collapses through the ropes. Ruiz is up quickly but seems sort of out of it. Like a guy who can't remember where the car was parked. He covers well and rides out the storm in the first.

Ruiz turns agressive (yes, you read that correctly) and takes the fight to Brock in the 2nd and 3rd. Brock's stictly in defensive mode. Both guys fighting pretty evenly through the 4th and 5th rounds. Ruiz clearly landing more punches but Brocks seem slightly more effective.

Brock absorbs some big shots from Ruiz in the 6th and 7th rounds! His right eye starts swelling noticeably. They collide heads accidentally at the end of the round and Ruiz is sporting a gusher under his right eye. These guys are putting on a good show.

They're trading leather again in the 8th. Brock is taking a beating out there. He looks bad. I think this one is just about over.

Ruiz out fast for the start of the 9th. Oh! Brock just turned Ruiz's head with a big left hook like it was on a swivel! Two murderous hooks almost decapitate Ruiz and he goes down in a heap! Ruiz trying to drag himself off the floor. I don't think he's going to make it! No, he's up at 9! The ref's taking a long look at Ruiz... he's gonna let them go.

Brock lands an overhand right. Down goes Ruiz again! I can't believe it, Ruiz is up at 3! There's no dog in Ruiz tonight. Finally, they clinch. Both fighters look exhausted. There's the bell.

One round of fighting left. We may be watching the fight of the year.
There's the bell for the 10th and final round. Fighters touch gloves. Brock can barely lift his hands. Ruiz clinches. Brock lands a few shots and starts moving towards Ruiz. Ruiz jabs. There's the bell. We're going to the scorecards.

My good buddy Tony Galento would have loved this fight. I'm trying to talk him into a comeback. He's retired and running a bar on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. If you ever get over that way, tell him Jersey-Jim sent you. You'll get a free shot of whiskey on the house.

Here's the decision:

97-91
93-93
97-91

Brock takes a unanimous decision! I don't know about those scores? I thought it was closer? Ruiz outpunched Brock 285 to 161! Well, with one 10-8 round and one 10-7 round... I can agree with the outcome but the scores look a little off.

Oh well, I've gotta run. Gotta catch a cab and get over to the "Lucky Stiff" tavern for a few beers and a post fight wrap up for my editor. See you later...

Last edited by Jersey-Jim; 07-06-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote