View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
Postman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I have always maintained that career ending injuries should not exist at all. Instead, a players skills should just diminish to the point where the player will likely either be released or retire, just like other players with poor ratings. As it stands now, injuries can and do affect players' ratings....why should CEIs be any different?
I don't know. It seems realistic to me.

I've had only minor shoulder problems, and they're bad enough, but I've known athletes that have gone through shoulder reconstruction surgery, and it's not pleasant. The pain is considerable. And those guys weren't pitchers!

So, it's possible that a pitcher just can't throw through the pain, i.e. he just can't play anymore. It's not a trivial injury either. If the shoulder just explodes, repair may not be possible:

Quote:
The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the glenoid or the "socket" portion of the shoulder joint and actually serves to enhance shoulder joint stability. When torn, the labrum can catch, causing the shoulder to be painful and potentially feel unstable. The biceps tendon has an attachment to the labrum, so if the biceps is involved, it can lead to problems at the labrum. The labrum undergoes great strain where it attaches to the biceps at the extremes of motion, when the shoulder is at its fully cocked position before ball delivery, and at the end of ball release (during follow through). Since a pitcher repeats that motion time and again -- not only during a game but also during warm-ups, bullpen sessions and any other episode of throwing -- the labrum is constantly subject to stress. Surgical repair may be the eventual treatment in a thrower who does not respond to a period of rest and conservative rehabilitation, and the recovery is lengthy. Pitchers do return from labral repair, but their timetable to return and their effectiveness when they do come back is variable.
-- Common injuries to pitchers and hitters - Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

Last edited by Postman; 06-04-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote