View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #25
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
So, to be clear, you think that it is ignorance if a person - most-likely an older-generation one - longs for the days when crew-cuts, please, thank you's, yes sirs, yes ma'ams, firm handshakes, skirts below the knee, etc., were the norm?

No argument. Generally speaking, same with other forms of long hair on men, and beards. That doesn't mean that if one has the opinion that long hair and beads are uncouth, that the opinion-holder is ignorant, or even racist. It's just a personal preference. Albeit a bit of an extreme one. And one that - if following the golden rule - is best left unsaid, dpeending upon the audience. (So maybe I'm agreeing that saying it in certain circumstances would make the speaker ignorant of social graces or classy behavior.)

I don't agree with the last sentence. I, for one, think many of the beards on today's baseball players are absolutely ridiculous looking. By your definition above, that's insulting to those who wear them. By my definition, it's personal opinion. Now if, when, and how I choose to vocalize that opinion might in fact make me ignorant or rude, I'll grant you.
It's OK for a hamburger lover to insist that hamburgers are the best and people should all eat hamburgers, but it'd be racist to tell a Mexican that tacos are disgusting.

I'd be OK with a letter recommending the player to dress and behave the certain way, but the part insulting other ways are obviously racist.

It's perfectly OK for you to think some looks are ridiculous. It's OK to say things like, "Tacos disgust me personally, and my personal taste just can't stand it." It's not OK to then insist others can't eat taco because it disgust you. The former is personal feeling, and the latter is racist.

Last edited by Skipaway; 10-11-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Skipaway is offline   Reply With Quote