View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #22
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
The problem here isn't about liking the value of a bygone era. The problem here is to insult the value of others. The insult is probably not intentional, therefore I call it ignorance.
So, to be clear, you think that it is ignorance if a person - most-likely an older-generation one - longs for the days when crew-cuts, please, thank you's, yes sirs, yes ma'ams, firm handshakes, skirts below the knee, etc., were the norm?

Quote:
Dreadlocks have been formal hair style for a long long long time, way before the "bygone era" you are referring to ever existed. And it's not just some tribal stuff, but gods and warriors in many cultures, including ancient Europe.
No argument. Generally speaking, same with other forms of long hair on men, and beards. That doesn't mean that if one has the opinion that long hair and beads are uncouth, that the opinion-holder is ignorant, or even racist. It's just a personal preference. Albeit a bit of an extreme one. And one that - if following the golden rule - is best left unsaid, dpeending upon the audience. (So maybe I'm agreeing that saying it in certain circumstances would make the speaker ignorant of social graces or classy behavior.)

Quote:
A key reason many modern black Americans like this hairstyle is exactly because they want to have their own styles different representing different culture. To insult that look is racist, and to not know that's insulting is ignorant.
I don't agree with the last sentence. I, for one, think many of the beards on today's baseball players are absolutely ridiculous looking. By your definition above, that's insulting to those who wear them. By my definition, it's personal opinion. Now if, when, and how I choose to vocalize that opinion might in fact make me ignorant or rude, I'll grant you.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote