View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Would you be able to take submissions in typical word processing formats ie Microsoft Office and put them in the manual? If you can, I may be able to help out. I have considerable experience writing technical documentation, specifications, work instructions etc.
The online manual is saved in a database which also serves as the source for the in-game manual, which is displayed in OOTP 14 with the in-game "browser". This browser only understands very basic HTML so the online manual should only use the most basic HTML tags.

You can write new manual pages in MS Word. But they would have to be converted into HTML. MS Word uses special characters for quotation marks and dashes which would need to be converted. If I would have to do it, I would copy the whole text from MS Word into an editor like notepad.exe. Then I would manually insert br tags for every line break and all the other tags. Tables are some extra work.
It's doable, but obviously it would be much better to write HTML code instead of using MS Word. To see which HTML tags we're using for the manual pages, open them in the browser and use the "View page source code" feature of the browser.
This is a list of the tags:
h5 for head lines
a for links
table, tr, td for tables
p for paragraphs. Do not use div!
b for bold and i for italic
ol, ul, li for lists
img for images

Thanks for any help! It's much appreciated

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 12-16-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote