View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #155
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
...the Huntley Red Raiders!

In a Game 7 for the ages, Huntley held the Doha Oilers scoreless in their own home park, winning Game 7 on the road 2-0 and claiming their third Perfect League championship! Ed Walsh, unsurprisingly named series MVP, pitched 7 shutout innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 walk while striking out 2. Lee Smith and Walter Johnson kept the shutout going through the 8th, and when Game 6 goat Eric Gagne once again struggled in the 9th, allowing a double to Hank Aaron and a single to Josh Gibson to give Doha runners on first and third with nobody out, Vida Blue saved the game and the series by striking out Honus Wagner and inducing a ground ball from Willie Mays that the Red Raiders turned into a game- and series-winning 6-4-3 double play!

Huntley scored the first run of the game in a most unusual way. In the top of the 5th, with runners on first and second and 1 out, Carl Yastrzemski took off for third. The throw from Josh Gibson was wild, and Yaz scampered home to give the Red Raiders a 1-0 lead. Yaz would strike again in the top of the 9th in a more traditional way, taking Tom Seaver deep for a leadoff solo home run. Thanks to Vida Blue's heroics, the 2-0 lead held up.

"Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you make your own luck," Huntley manager JasonC23 was quoted as saying in the jubilant clubhouse. "We got lucky a few times, but mostly we did the right things by being prepared for each game and playing the game the way it's meant to be played."
Congratulations and thanks for the summary. I have been away all week without my computer and you have been the only source of information on how my teams were doing. It looks like it was a heck of a series.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote