View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks agree to terms with new D-man
10/17/1991

Defensemen Brad Berry of Bashaw AB has been signed as a free-agent by the San Jose Sharks, thus ending the audition of first overall pick Scott Niedermayer.

Coach Fyvie had no problems justifying the move. “We like what (Niedermayer) has brought these last four games but we have to be realistic with our expectations for his development. It’s time we give him top minutes in the minors and let him grow at his own pace.”

For his part, the 6’2” Berry (pictured with Winnipeg) is excited to be joining another NHL club. “I’ve spent the last few seasons up in Winnipeg and am happy for another crack at the show.” Berry played 98 games over 3 seasons with the Jets, compiling 18 points and 126 PIM. “I’m a stay-at-home guy. I try and use my size to clear the crease.”

The thinking is that Berry’s approach to the game will help another young Shark: Peter Popovic. “Obviously Popovic and Berry play the same style and aren’t that different in age or size. Berry gives us depth we were sorely lacking at the NHL level.”

The signing comes the morning before a game against the Minnesota North Stars and the morning after a tough 5-1 loss on the road at the hands of the Kings.

“We’ll let Brad watch from the press-box tonight, I think. We still have to stitch up his jersey” added Coach Fyvie.

The puck drops at the Cow Palace at 7.05 PST. It is the first meeting between the 3-1-0 North Stars and the 3-4-0 Sharks.
Attached Images
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote